How do you guys feel about the divorce rate nowadays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it is what it is- I personally don't think that the number one reason is that people are selfish or don't want to work on things (thought that is part of it) - I like to think that it means that less and less people are staying in marriages that don't work. Where as there wasn't so much a choice before
    Anonymous

• I've always felt that if people married for the RIGHT reasons, the divorce rate wouldn't be so high. I've have PERSONALLY watched friends and acquaintances marry--1.) for convenience, 2.) because they had been together for 'so long', 3.) because of pregnancy, 4.) to get out of their parents house, 5.) being too young, 6.) because of 'money', 7.) as a form of 'rebellion', and/or 8.) because they felt they didn't have any other options or they 'settled."

My husband and I each married for the first (and only) time when we were 32 and 38. Neither of us had any children from previous relationships (we now have 2 sons), and we married for love and because we were best friends. We have TONS in common and each of us lead independent and financially successful lives prior to meeting.

If more people knew WHO they were, and what they wanted out of life prior to tying the knot, and WAITED, the rate would be MUCH lower, IMO of course!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• just think if there were a monthly tax break for marriage counseling, Add in role playing in marriage counseling and get an even larger tax break. Have the sessions held in town halls and the town administrator can sign a form to take home to further process the tax break.

I know I know the t a will be up for bribes. but hey it's a good idea.

If there were a tax break, seriously, for counseling my husband and I would probably go.
    Anonymous

• hi lorikeet, that ending meaning last sentence sounds realistic but jmo I don't think it is. Not everyone who marries pretending for the right reason does marry for the good right respectful reasons not even those who married late (me too).

My husband lied before and when he m;arried me and it took me years for me to see for myself and know that he did.

Anonymous

• I think its way to easy to get married.

if it was harder .... then people would think a bit longer about it and just not do it.

Anonymous

• It's the same as it was 40 yrs ago when I got married
    Anonymous

• I think they should pass certain laws in order to either a)make it harder to get married or b)make it harder to get divorced, pending on the situation (abuse cases should be open/shut), In other cases though, Like hubby gets tired of wifey, or vice versa, I think there should be fines for the guilty party to pay due to who did what. I know there are flaws with what I'm saying,but I think that if they legal system looked a little harder at what goes on, then maybe some hardships can be avoided.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 11:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Marriage is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard. Thats why the divorce rate is so high.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I don't think it has to do with right or wrong in a lot of cases. People grow and evolve and it doesn't always happen that they grow together in the way they think they would when they got married. I think that's why people are divorcing after many years of marriage more these days as well,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2010