Do some kids just not like to be held close?

My daughter has never liked being held close. If I try to hug her, she pushes away from me and will even cry if you hold her for too long. We're bonded just fine, but she acts like she'll miss something if she bothers to give me a hug!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A lot of time kids are just on the go all the time. Like you said: she might miss something. lol

I know its sad...lol...we want to cuddle them for a long time and they are too busy...hehehehe
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• yup. my middle child was like that

Answer by admckenzie at 8:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My 4 y/o is like that. When she does want to be held, I cuddle with her as long as she will let me.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• It's probably nothing, she is probably just a busy child that wants to run around and be a part of all the action. Some people are sensitive to touch and just don't like the feeling of being held close. I can HOLD someone for a long time, but I can't BE HELD by anyone for more than a few seconds. I feel like I'm being suffocated or restrained. Is she sensitive to other things, like certain types of clothing or textures? Sounds being too loud or scared of normal sounds like cars or vacuum cleaners? Sensory Processing Disorder can cause all of that and more. 

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 9:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• "she acts like she'll miss something if she bothers to give me a hug"
    that's exactly it- she's got places to go and things to do when she's little! :)
    my youngest niece is Like that. Her sister was all about the hugging and sitting with you while you read to her.
    the younger one is a cruiser - she doesn't have time to be held.

Anonymous

• Some are just like that and my youngest went through a year long phase like that and now is the cuddliest little thing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010