Am I wrong? Question concerning God parents~

Hi,feeling a little down right now. My dh and I are in the process of joining the church. We are trying to get all the paperwork lined up. My dd has a God parent but my ds does not. We have to have Catholic God parents since we are joining the Catholic church. We don't have anyone close to us that we know who is Catholic to ask but my brother and his wife's best friends ARE but my brother and SIL are not. I was a bit concerned but thought I should ask if they would like to do it. I was afraid right off the bat of steping on toes since they would naturally be more likely to be my neice and nephew's god parents than mine. I asked anyway,(against my better judgment). I did not hear from them for a while and then got a call saying that she lost my number. She said in her message that they would do it if we hadent found anyone else. I am thinking that we should just ask around,although we don't have much time now. What do you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you haven't got someone who you trust totally for this then you should maybe rethink it or peak to the priest. It isn't the kind of thing you just ask around, like your asking if anyone wants a cup of coffee. Legally, a godparent has no claim on your child even if you were to both die, but if someone is going to stand up and say they will take an interest in your baby's life, it should be someone who loves him, not someone you asked to avoid treading on toes. Talk to the Priest at your new church
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• the church requires that a god parent be catholic? that just makes no sense to me. Good luck on this though
    Anonymous

• really? wow when my nephew was born 45 (YES!!!! 45 years ago) I was not allowed to be his Godmother because I was not Catholic. But when his sister was born 40 years ago the rules had changed and I am my niece's Godmother. I held my niece through the Christening Ceremony in their Catholic Church.

I guess things have changed since then. I'd just be upfront with everyone and tell them and ask for help in deciding what to do.
    Anonymous

• I'd probably try to find someone who is likely to be in your children's lives. Perhaps parents of other children that are your childrens age.
    Anonymous

• Umm im a god parent and Im not into religion AT ALL..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• hey 744 anon what I find even more surprising and even insulting to me as a worthy human is that in the Catholic Church you can't take Holy Communion if you're not Catholic, so clearly that affects being a Godparent to a Catholic Godchild.

I do though respect that they have the right to uphold their Teachings of the Bible.
    Anonymous

• Do you understand the role of the Godparent? They are agreeing to help the parents raise this child; not only to be a good productive member of society but also and possibly more importantly in the church. Also; many feel that the godparent's are also the designated guardian of said children should something befall the parents. IDK if addt'l paperwork is req'd now-a-days but that was part of the initial intent.
    Anonymous

• Since the purpose of godparents is ti help you raise the child in the Catholic faith it makes sense to have Catholic godparents. You only need 1 Catholic godparent and then you can have another non-Catholic "Christian Witness" if you want.

I would look at this as an opportunity to grow a relationship with someone. Maybe you're not close now, but perhaps that will change as tilme goes on. So if you have another Catholic frield you might want ot get to know better, you should consider asking them. I knew someone that when they took the baptism class they met another couple in a similar position (not knowing any practicing Catholics well) and so they were godparents for each other's children and now they're close friends.

Congratulations the baptism - I do hope things work well.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You only need on God parent. You don't have to have two. It should be someone you trust, and someone who loves your child. You also don't have to feel a need to rush into this. In our Parish, some children are not baptized until they are much older. I myself was not baptized until I was 26 years old. Don't feel like you have to do this by a certain date. A God parent is someone who will assist your child in his faith journey, not someone who only shows up one day and has little more to do with him.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Also: you can choose the same person who is the God parent to your daughter. It doesn't have to be someone different.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2010