illness need advice

Hello,
My six year old son has had fevers of 103 since wednesday afternoon we brought him to the doctors on thursday and they diagnosed him with strep throat. We have been taking the antibiotic since thursday and he is still having the fevers I have been trying to call the doctor all day and the phone has been busy. We have had to give him tylenol and motrin to keep the fevers down. What do you think could be wrong could it be a virus or something else? We are going to the doctor tomorrow but i was just looking for some opinions.

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The only thing I can think of for the fever is lots of liquids, or even popcicles to cool him down. I usually use the frozen juice ones, I think they probably have as much sugar, but at least it's real juice (depending on the brand) and when they're sick anything helps.

Try either putting him into the tub, not too cool otherwise you could chill him off too fast and make things worse. Or if he's not up for that, an old fashioned sponge bath works good too. Just plain water, no soap needed.

I hope he feels better, both of you try and get some sleep tonight.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My kids have had fevers for more days than your lo with strep and viruses, the flu. Give him tepid room temp baths and keep him just in a sheet and light jammies.

Apple sauce is nice and cool going down a sore throat but be sure to have him take little bit at a time or it's overpowering cause of the thickness. Even room temperature apple sauce is still soothing cause it's not warm, still a taste of coolness to it.

Hope he feels better soon, if the strep was active bad for a while before the medicine meaning not caught somehow right away then the antiob. takes longer to work too.

Sometimes scarlet fever can come from strep, your doctor will be able to answer that concern more. Hope he's better tonight, fingers crossed!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2010