Spicy food?

heard your not suppose to eat spicy food when breast feeding... I am breast feeding/pumping but want to eat extremely spicy chili...how long do i have to wait so my baby isnt affected by it? can i just pump and dump?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the baby. Some moms were able to eat spicy food and the baby had no issue with it while others could not because it made them gassy etc.. I was not allowed to drink milk while I breastfed. Some can't have cabbage. It just depends on the baby. If you eat it and the baby is fussy, gassy etc after' you will know it bothers him, if no change, you will be fine..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• When my daughter was first born I kind of kept the spices to a minimum and she did seem really gassy after I ate garlic. But after about 2 months she wasn't bothered by the garlic anymore. After that first two months, I eat spicy food all the time now and it hasn't affected her at all.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I never limited spicy foods while breastfeeding. Here is the info from kellymom.com:

Can nursing mothers eat strong-flavored or spicy foods?

Yes, in general. There are many cultures who regularly eat spicy foods and strong-flavored foods, and there is no evidence that a greater percentage of these babies are fussy, gassy, or have other problems with the foods their moms eat. We do know that some strong flavors, like garlic, can pass into the milk but it does not seem to cause problems. In fact, one study showed that babies nursed better after mom ate garlic.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• My DH was really big about me eating as much spicy foods as I could while pregnant and breastfeeding.. and now that our daughter is on solid foods, she loves them just as much as we do :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I did stop eating spicy food when my baby was first born but after a few months I started eating spicy food again and it didn't have any affect on my baby. but it all depends on the baby
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2010