Everyone please read. Writing a novel and have a serious question.

I'm writing a novel and I don't want to go into alot of detail about what it is about. However, the main character is only 17 and there are a couple of sex scenes that I go into a little bit of detail about. Can that be published? I thought that it probably could but then I got to thinking about porn and how you have to be 18 to be in porns. LOL. I know that doesn't make alot of sense but it's not rape or anything. Can that be published or will they tell me no way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Why cant u change the age to 18? Im sorry but I really dont know, I think they would publish it tho
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I would think it is okay, its fiction so not like a real 17 year old being in porn movies. Actually there was that Judy Blume book can't remember the titke now and Lolita which I can't remember the author of those both came to mind when I read your question b/c they had teens having sex...
    Anonymous

• it can be used...so long as the person isn't real it can be used..trust me i'm trying to write a children's book an a romance story..it will be fine...
    diana2630

Answer by diana2630 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• If it doesn't impede the story line, you might want to change it, although I would think it would more depend on the age of the characters partner. It also depends on the age group the book is aimed at, if it's a teen group, it might cause some flack. If it's toward an older group, I don't really see the problem.

Good luck, I've had a book idea kicking around in my head for over 20 yrs and still haven't the nerve to try and get it on paper. Kudos to you!!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• yah its ok. there are some legal grey zones, but they go after kiddie porn type stuff and more images (think certain japanese art/porn). teen sexuality in stories is very common so there's a huge precedence where you would be safe.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with BrittanyD07 - is there a reason why the character can't be 18?
    Anonymous

• Ummm, isn't Lolita a book about a 12yr old having sex with a grown man; or at the very least tempting him?? I'm pretty sure you will find someone who would publish that; but is it the type of publisher you'd want is the question...
    Anonymous

• Sex scenes are fine in books as far as censorship and legality is concerned. Even if it's child sex as long as there are no illustrations or images. There are 10 billion other things a publishing house will look at when making a decision about your book. Most importantly, is the story (and the sex in it) interesting.

Yes, Judy Blume wrote tons of books with teen sex, and she is a legend. She did get pulled off some school shelves, but we don't censor like that on a national level. I'm a writer. My friends are mostly writers. One of them is having his book released this summer, and it is a young adult novel with gay teen sex in it. It was purchased by Bold Strokes Press.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I'd make it sensual but leave some to the imagination of the reader and make it with another minor to stay out of trouble.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it would be illegal but you might have a hard time getting a publisher to actually want it.
    Anonymous