what should i do if my toddler starts to get sleepy around 5 and his usual bedtime is 8?

my son wakes up at 7 takes a nap b/t 9-1 and then he'll go to bed around 8. but today he got really cranky and tired around 5. so i let him take a hour catnap and woke him up at 6. I let him stay him till 9 due to the late nap but now he doesnt want to go to bed....any advice for now or future instances??

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have also been having a similar proboably. My son is 18 months. He gets up at 7:30 takes a name at 10 or 11 and is CRANKY before bedtime! ..So I just started making his name time a little later...Around 1.. He sleeps for about 2 hours and is in a much better mood when he wakes up.. I also make sure I feed him lunch before he takes his nap. He seems to sleep better that way.. He normally goes to bed at 7 pm and wakes up at 7.. If the late nap does not work maybe you should change her bed time. Feed him diner around 5:30 then give him a bath and put him to bed at 7.. that's what we do. If we decided to skip the bath he watches one of his nursery rhyme shows that he loves then he goes to bed. Seems to work well for him!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I have a simular problem...my almost 3 year old gets up at 7ish, refuses to have a nap ( I fall asleep before she does and then she sneaks out of the bed) and then gets tired at 5, and is cranky or passes out. Then she's up at 9-10 and goes back down at 11.
    I've found though, if you really do hands on stuff with them to keep them occupied, like let them help make dinner, then I can push her to about 7 and she usually stays down for the night. Good luck!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Honestly, if my daughter wanted to sleep at 5, I'd let her and wouldn't wake her up. maybe it would throw her off but kids get really tired sometimes like we do and I guess I just figure there's a reason and she needs the sleep. She'd get back on track fairly quickly and probably be better off from the extra nap. and then I might take it easier the next day if we'd been busy.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Can you push back his nap time? Did I read you correctly he goes down at 9am for his nap? I'd try a later nap and then a slightly earlier bedtime. Or a morning and an early afternoon nap, with the afternoon one starting no later than 1 or 1:30. But if you end up with a sleepy kiddo at 5pm, I would definitely avoid the nap at that point... I would put my child to bed early in that case. Even 6pm is acceptable.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2010