PCOS and Breast Feeding

When I got pregnant in 08' I had to stop taking metformin. Now i'm starting to notice the symptoms of pcos more and recently i've been in pain down there which reminded me that i need a pap.. but thats not the point. I want a million babies so i need to be able to have kids.. i want to start some type of medication again but i'm still breastfeeding my daughter.. she's 14 months... yeah i'm so trying to ween but she's abusive lol ... has anyone with pcos taken something for it while breastfeeding?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 9:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have PCOS and have had 3 children with no meds and I breastfed them all
    Anonymous

• Hey, don't feel bad your 14 month old is breastfeeding. It may not be something everyone does, but it IS consistent with the recommended amount of breastfeeding (up to 2 years old). Sounds like you're a good mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I too have PCOS and I've read quite a bit aobut taking Metformin during breastfeeding and during pregnancy. My Dr said not to because he didn't feel like there were enough studies done on it yet to deem it safe. But the studies that have been done say it is safe. I heard that it can lower supply in some women and raise it in others. Talk your Dr. : )
    Anonymous

• Metformin IS safe to take while BFdng Listed as L1, safest By Dr. Hale; Pediatric concerns: No side effects noted in three studies. Plasma levels are undetectable. “Metformin was present in very low or undetectable concentrations in the plasma of four of the infants who were studied. No health problems were found in the six infants who were evaluated.” And “In another study of five subjects, the median milk/plasma ratio (AUC) for metformin was 0.47 mg/L. the median calculated infant dose was 0.2% of the weight adjusted maternal dose. None of the infants exposed to their mother’s milk had detectable levels of metformin in their plasma, nor were any side effects noted.”
    It is commonly prescribed to bfding moms with pcos who have low milk supply.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Who is Dr. Hale? Your Dr. or some PCOS Metformin expert?
    Anonymous

• Dr. Hale is THE leading expert on medications and mother's milk in the nation. You don't get better than that; it's like having your Little League team coached by a pro baseball player. **grin** Metformin IS OK while nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2010