when can I clip my newborn's nails?

she's two weeks today.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now's fine, just be very gentle and not too close to the skin. A little tip is warm the clippers under a warm tap first, cold metal will startle her and she won't like it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You can clip them anytime. Just be sure not to clip too close.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Oh and another tip is to clip them when she is sleeping, she won't move all over then.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I agree with all the posters. Clip them when she's asleep and don't do it right after a bath...her nails will be too soft then. Just make sure you don't get her skin. If you are too nervous, you can always file them down if they aren't super long, with a little emory board, or you can bite them. I did that with my son's nails the first few times because I was too nervous to clip them.
    Anonymous

• another good tip is to sit her on you with her back and against your belly and clip them that way. This way it is a natural way to do it because that is how you clip your nails.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I hope there is not age you wait for lol, I clipped my sons the day he was born while in the hostpital. They were very long.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Okay, I know it sounds bad but when my DS was a baby I was SOOOOOO scared to use baby clippers because I was scared of cutting his nails to short, so when his nails got long I bit them off because I knew how short they were getting. Not saying you should do it, but thats what I did.
    Anonymous

• My doc actually recommends biting their nails when they're newborn.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• If you get one of those metal nail files with the corse side it will file a newborns nails down perfectly and quickly. I never had luck with the mini emery boards.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2010