Would you ask your child to wear a purity ring?

I'm thinking about doing it...she's 10. What do you think?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't ask, but I would give her one as a gift and have a very candid conversation about sex. I would explain to her what my expectations are but also how to protect herself if she would decide to have sex.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• no, never, it's not about me, it's about them- a ring won't stop her from doing anything, but it will make her feel pressure from you and let her know that that isn't a conversation she can have with you. To me a purity ring seems like an ownership band. just my opinion
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• at 10?????? it's sad but true, kids are active at that age....a ring really does mean nothing though. i've known ppl who wore them when i was a kid and they meant nothing to them...just a way to keep the parents happy...talk to her like she's not your child...she'll listen to you that way, thats the way to keep kids from having sex
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• No, I wouldnt ask my daughter to wear one, if she comes to the choice on her own than that is fine with me.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Talking with her about it is a great way to open up a conversation about a sensitive topic. There is always a risk of pushing children away or toward rebellion when discussing issues of sex and body image and puberty. Being told to do something often sets off defensive responses in kids. Being asked what she thinks and feels about it gives her the platform to ask you important questions.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• No I wouldn't. To me, parent's who makes their children wear purity rings are just creating a barrier with their child. Sex is a healthy and wonderful thing, when you are in love and MARRIED. But if there is too much pressure put on the child, it can either make them rebel, or have a warped view of sex as a bad thing. Talking to her like a parent, about the importance of abstinence, will not only inform her, but probably make her more comfortable about talking about sex with you...instead of feeling frightened.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not. That would be his/her choice.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• No. .
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• no but I offered my youngest dd at age 10 a car when she turned 16 if she got to that age and wasn't pregnant, a drunk or did drugs. she got that car!
    Anonymous