my child gets petrified and makes no eye contact when a stranger addresses him in very pleasant manner . He is almost 2.What's up with that behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is shy.
    Anonymous

• He's two, its VERY normal, it's his own little personal safety radar starting, you know your sixth sense- his is just being born. Never make him touch another person if he doesn't want to, don't force him to shake hands or kiss auntie flo. It his body and his choice. Don't be embarrassed, it is good that he is developing intuition and he will improve as he learns to trust his own instincts. Just explain that he is going through a shy period and protect him from people who want to push the point
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• As long as this is just when he meets a stranger. I wouldn't worry about it. My son is SUPER hyper at home but, when we go to other houses he is a totally different kid. I'm sure he is just shy. If he is ok at home and makes eye contact with you and other close relatives I wouldn't worry about it too much!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Very normal, my son started this around a year old. He would cry if someone even looked at him. We didn't get out of the house much his first year. We started having playdates and attending playgroups and he's tons better(just turned two). Never force him to be friendly. Stay calm and pleasant he will feed of of your emotions. He may always be a little shy but he will get better. Just let him grow out of it in his own time.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2010