how can i get my 2o month old baby to stop sucking her thumb

she has almost disfigured her thumb and has developed a skin rash on her arm and i am so worried . is there anything i can put on her thumb to make her stop sucking her thump, i appreciate any advice you can share with me

mimi8144

Asked by mimi8144 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A pacifier?
    Anonymous

• My DD is the same age and still sucks her thumb. Her doc and my dentist said its not a problem unless it persist pass four. She doesn't do it as much anymore but when she would chap her skin I'd apply lansinoh nipple cream on it. Its safe for her to ingest and it heals the skin. I don't know how to make her stop.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Pacifier. She obviously has an extra need for sucking. When she's older, it's a lot easier to take away a pacifier than it is to take away her thumbs!
    Anonymous

• Most thumb sucking babies never took to a pacifier in the first place. I have dozens that I've tried and my DD didn't want anything to do with them.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Tricky, and she is at an age when they often need extra comfort. To minimise her sucking, go shopping for special pretty gloves. How has she disfigured her thumb and why is the rash on her arm related? Dribbling? Try to distract her with clapping songs, playdough etc - every second it isn't in her mouth is a second where it can heal. I don't think she will do permanent damage, and if it gets too sore she wll stop herself.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• Thank you ladies for responding to my question, i found all of your responses very helpful, i am so sorry for responding so late. i ended at ER yesterday with her due to an ear infection. i appreciate you all
    mimi8144

Answer by mimi8144 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2010