About a stolen vehicle...

DH and I saw a nice pickup we're very interested in. Here's the rundown, the lot owner wasn't there, so we couldn't ask, and he didn't pick up his phone.

The pickup is VERY clean, VERY nice, (couldn't tell the mileage) except we noticed that a back glass was broken and flopping open. (Fairly easy fix..) Upon further inspection, we noticed that the truck was not locked. DH opened the door, only to find that the plastic around the steering column had been broken off (was laying on the dash), the ignition hole scratched and mutilated, and the wires underneath were burnt on the ends and pulled out, obviously had been hot-wired.

When a car/truck has been hotwired, possibly stolen (would then have been recovered due to the auction number still on the windshield), possible repo... no idea yet... would this mean the vehicle has a salvage title? Or could it still have a clear title, but just need work?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• salvage titles are for wrecked vehicles or ones that were abandoned for a certain amount of time.
    Anonymous

• Some stolen vehicles that are recovered are considered "totaled" and then are issued salvage titles. Don't always be afraid of vehicles with salvage titles. My Mom has inspected salvage vehicles for the Highway Patrol for almost 20 years now and she has seen some vehicles re-built better than when they rolled off the factory line.
    If it had been me, I would have called the police about the vehicle, for all you know the vehicle was abandoned. Vehicles are stolen from auctions, repo yards, dealers and so on.
    My vehicle was actually sitting at a car lot, locked and alarm armed when it was stolen.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I am, by no means, afraid of a salvage title. I know that on some occasions, like a 97 mustang I owned recently had been rebuilt and is STILL on the road running fabulously! (A guy ditched it and bent the rear axle, cost to repair damages was more than the worth on the vehicle.) After bodywork and a little paint and a couple stickers on the bumper, it looks old, but NEW. LOL

The truck was sitting in the dealer's lot, between several other vehicles of similar shape, value, etc. I just wondered if it was a requirement to have a salvage title after being hotwired, due to the fact that there could be electrical/computer system damages.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Your considering buying a truck that could have been stolen by the lot owner or someone who knows him? That's kinda stupid.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• UM, NO. Wouldn't have been stolen by the lot owner, he has between 80-100 certified used cars on his lot and is very reputable in our area. I have no doubt in my mind. I know this truck came in with a load from an auction, and he would not have purchased it without a title, or as a stolen vehicle. I can get the carfax from him on Wednesday, no problem. I'm not stupid, I've been through the salvage title process, and wasn't asking for your opinion on my consideration for a vehicle. How do you know I'm not looking to buy it for parts? Thank you, and for fellow posters, please don't judge me because I'm interested to know what could have possibly happened to this vehicle prior to actually calling the guy to find out...

matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• try doing a carfax on it and see if anything comes up ?

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 2:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I would get the VIN and call the non emergency police line and have them run it. If there is a plate on the truck, have them run that too. Then you can see if it was stolen.
    Jenster18

Answer by Jenster18 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Oh, and to the poster who is rude. This is a place for support and advice, not a place to be put down!
    Jenster18