My son is 18 months old and can not get him off the bottle he only wants it when he goes to bed, He drinks out of a sippy cup and straw

how can i get my son off the bottle?

Lrcalcagno87

Asked by Lrcalcagno87 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not trying to be rude, but chunk the bottles. He may cry for it a few times but he'll get over it. :) Bottles at bed are terrible for his teeth. Even if it's hard it is the right thing to o.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• After you brush his teeth at night, he should have only water. Take him to the store, and let him pick out a "big boy" stainless steel water bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My oldest son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up last December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2010