What is a 1st generation American?

I was born in Canada and now a naturalized citizen of the USA. My mother lives in Canada and my father lives in Ireland. Am I a 1st generation American or are my children,who were all born in the US?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• no.

If your parents were NOT American and you were born in America, you'd be a 1st gen American.

Depending on your children's father, would be if they are 1st gen American or not. If he's American, then no they still wouldn't be 1st gen.
    Anonymous

• Per the 14th amendment of the United States Constitution, if her children we born in the United States THEY ARE AMERICAN!

Since you were not born American, your children are first generation American on their mother's side, and whatever applies on their father's side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• A first generation American is the first set of people to be born in America.

My DH and his sisters are first gen. as their parents were born in Europe, but met, married and had children in the US.

Your children are 1st gen. on your side for sure. You are a naturalized citizen.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Your children are first generation
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:13 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I am first generation american on my mothers side, but I wasn't born here. I have an american certificate of birth abroad. On my fathers side...well my ancestors came over in the 1600's
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 9:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• You children...and of course Native Americans.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Your kids.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2010