Can you tolerate members of the extended family living with you?

My MIL has been living with us for the past 4 months. I feel like I am loosing my mind. She is very nice and tries to help but I like to do things my way and by myself. Am I weird or are there other people like me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You're not weird. We had extended family living with us for about a year when I was a kid, and it made my parents nuts as well. Especially since they had to have my brother and me sleeping in the master bedroom with them. AND since the extended family barely pitched in with the expenses.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• You're not alone. For the most part I love my inlaws and best friend but after being in my house for more then 12 hours I feel like they are "cramping" my house. I feel more unedge worrying if they are going to make a comment or think differently by what I do. I know deep down they won't but I tend to worry what family thinks of me.
    ChevyGurl79

Answer by ChevyGurl79 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• yep yep I am with you there. We stayed with my MIL, SIL and her two kids for 4 months. it was when my first two kids were ages 1 AND 2. I got so depressed! i guess its worse going to someone elses house but its hard living with others. Its been 4 years since we lived there and his mom just bought a 5BR house and wants us to move in. I said oh no not doing that crap again. I can't handle it! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I feel for you... My Ex-MIL lived with us for almost a year. She wasn't as nice as yours, though. She liked to do everything her way and our tastes, styles and habits were always clashing. I remember she told me to wash the floor (even though I had already scrubbed it) and I thought how rude (it was my house and I cleaned the floor. She can clean it herself if she wants it done "right")!

So yeah... No matter how civil you are and how much you love your family, having them live with you can be crazy annoying.

Just be glad she's letting you run your house how YOU want it. :)
    CrystalsMuse

Answer by CrystalsMuse at 12:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Like the old saying goes " no one house is big enough for more then one family"! There is bound to be trouble sooner then later when that happens!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• you're not weird. we always had relatives coming and going when i was a kid. it was nice to have lots of family around. but now that i am grown with my own family i don't think i could deal with it for very long.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Visitors should always leave soon enough that the hosts want them to stay longer and welcome them back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My dear granny came to visit, and while I was at the store doing the monthly grocery shopping she rearranged my entire kitchen--all the cabinets and drawers. Took me 5 years to find everything, some stuff I didn't find till we moved into a different house. I love her to pieces, but two women can't live peacefully in the same house for more than a few days, even mother and adult daughter. They both have their own way of doing things, and it's bound to clash sooner rather than later. Doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong, just different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My brother lives with us, and I think it's great :) However, if it was my mom, or MIL, I'd probably feel differently!!!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2010