What does "Tenure" mean?

I hear teachers talking about it and do not know what it means

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• At least here in Florida, they're working on a bill to eliminate tenure, and basing whether or not the teacher has a job on the FCAT test scores. Plus, they're trying to base more than half their salary on those same scores.

And @secondtyme520, My mom has been teaching for about 10 years and has tenure. All it does is guarantee that their job is permanent and they can't be fired. They can be pressured to quit (I had a teacher my freshmen year who was tenured but was pressured to quit after he was caught on a DUI and pot possession. ) But without some extreme circumstances, they usually cannot be fired.

At least in my mom's school district, the only way to get a real raise is to get a higher degree. My mom had a BA and had to get a masters degree in order to get a raise.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• in the simplest terms it means it's almost impossible to get fired nor can you be laid off
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Dictionary definition: status granted to an employee, usually after a probationary period, indicating that the position or employment is permanent.

Of course, that doesn't protect teachers form layoffs in times of budget cuts...the least senior will go first, tenure or no.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• after a teacher has worked for so many years (usually like 40) the reach tenture, which is before retirement age, where they will be paid a certain amount (most times higher than anyone else) and have a guaranteed job position each year
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2010