My 10 month old is not eating

My son will not eat most things I try to give him, he wont even try it. He wont eat his baby food any longer either. I'm not quite sure what to do. He still takes a bottle, and doesn't have a problem with that. Most the times when I put something in front of him like cheerios he will pick them up and eat them himself. Just today we were sitting out at dinner and he reached to my husbands plate grabbed a chip and took a bite of it, from then on he would eat the chips, but nothing more. Tonight I tried to give Mac and Cheese, and he just wrinkles up his nose and wont even try it. Is there any one who has had this problem? I'm not sure what to do or where to start, and I don't want him to lose weight or anything. I am concerned... Please help!

Maggy_lynn

Asked by Maggy_lynn at 12:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as he is getting enough formula then it is fine...babies really don't need to eat solid foods until they are a year old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Agree with PP, solids aren't necessary until after 12 months. But, if he is interested in things you are eating maybe its just that he is bored with his usual faire and you can expand the things he is getting. Give him what you eat, maybe just hold salt/butter, etc and cut-up/blend what you have to.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I babysit a little girl who is just about to turn 11 months old and at 10 months stopped eating her solid baby food. She REFUSES to eat it she swats the spoon and the food flies. Her ped told her mom to start giving her table food, mashed potatos, mac and cheese the graduate foods and she is doing alot better plus a little formula.
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Solid foods are ok to give them starting at 7months this is coming straight from my sons devolopmental counselor and pedi..You do not have to wait til they are a year old...Just make sure they still get more formula then solids. My son does the same thing. Sometimes its a game to him and sometimes its not. He hit a growth spurk and refused to eat all together. I had to force him to drink two bottles and one cup of juice which was all he had all day. Its completely normal for them to go thru these stages...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Dairy and wheat are allergy trigger foods that should not be given to a child under age one.

Stick with soft solids, like avocado, baked sweet potato, cooked and mashed beans, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i agree with rkoloms. Food before 1 is just for fun, he is getting all his main nutrition from formula. It is normal for babies to be food snobs. it is also VERY normal for them to want to feed themselves and to eat what you are eating (if you eat it then it must be safe to try -- from an experimenting point of view). Don't give him baby food...it isn't tastey, he can't feed himself, and its half water. REad this http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html    and this  http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/schema/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• He should be drinking at least 32 of formula a day. Food is not necessary before a year, it's just for practice. If he's drinking enough formula, he won't lose weight. Food is not meant to be given for nutritional purposes before a year old. Don't worry if he won't eat solids, as long as he'll drink the formula.
    Anonymous