• In the Spotlight:

Have you EVER had your child in the car without a car seat even though they should have been in one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, once because we didnt have a choice. My friends dumbass hubby forgot to take the carseat out of the van before he left for work and we were all at the kid's 1st bday party so I was taking my friend and her son home after the party since dumbass hubby had to leave for work. We put a seatbelt on him and she sat in the back next to him and made sure that he didnt move out of the seat. I drove carefully and straight to where dumbass hubby worked to pick up the seat. Then I took them home with baby boy properly in his carseat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i will find and punch whoever does this!!!!!! i've accidentally put her in the car without putting the belt on her carseat (I am used to having a base and just setting her down in it) and I felt SOOO AWFUL!!!!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• a friends sister of mine would put the seatbelt on the carseat but not buckle her up in the carseat. You might as well jsut throw her in the back of the car because if they hit someone or got hit having her carseat buckled will do nothing for her! They were just too lazy to spend the 10 seconds it takes to do it!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• No.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• No I never have and never would, I even keep a extra 5 point harness car seat in my garage in case i have to take a child somewhere who needs it. My neighbor has a little boy that requires that size so if there were ever a emergency I can take him with me with no problem and she keeps an extra booster in case she ever has to take my youngest somewhere. Dh and I also have always bought two of whatever carseat we needed, one for his car and one for mine that way we always have a carseat for the kids and if anyone else were to drive with our kids we have an extra to hand them to use. Sounds like a pain to have that many carseats around but I would rather my children arrive alive to wherever they are going.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Technically yes. We have a pickup truck that seats 6. We have 4 kids and when we got the truck they were all still technically supposed to be in seats but there is no place to but a seat up front so my son (who was 6 and 55lbs sat up front between me and my husband.
    He's 8 now and over 70lbs and by law no longer has to be in a seat and by law here is legal to sit up front if all available seats in the back are taken still sits up front. Our 3 girls who are much shorter and smaller then him sit in back in their boosters/carseats. If one of the older 2 girls (almost 10 and 7) aren't in the car then he rides in back in their empty booster. Gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. We didn't have an option of another car and buying another vehicle is not an option either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I have had 4 kids in the last 23 years I am sure it has happened. My husband is so anal that he felt he couldn't pick up our 5 and a half yr old from school in his truck because he didn't have the booster seat. The school is 2 blocks away, I told him it would be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• we did once, we went to Turkey to visit my DH's family, and the airport lost my sons carseat, we waited hours at the airport but still nothing, we tried to find an open store to buy one but none were open. My DS was just under 2 at the time. We had to drive about 20 mins from the Airport to DH's mom's house. My DH & his brother sat next to my DS , he fell asleep right away. I came to find out that carseats arent "mandatory" there but they like if you use them. We ended up getting a call fromt the airport the next day saying they found his carseat in the womens bathroom. we didnt even pick it up we ended up buying him a new one. I wouldnt let that happen again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Nope never! I care to much for my kids to do something that stupid!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• The only time we did that was when we were looking to trade my hubs car in for a different one. We were at the car dealership and my hubs did not want to fuss with changing the car seat over to a test car, so we took turns holding the 2yr old on our laps while driving (slowly) around the parking lot of the car dealership. We did NOT go out on the road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2010