why cant i control my two year old?

purtypunkrawkr

Asked by purtypunkrawkr at 4:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you give us some more details? What is your little one doing exactly?
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Is it yelling, or biting, or throwing fits. Usually it's fits, and my best suggestion would be that when your child throws a fit you need to sit down/kneel at eye level with them so you don't seem so dominating, and calm them with a soothing voice, then explain to them (just like you would an older child) why what they are doing is wrong, and why you expect the things you do of them. EX.("You cannot have candy right now b/c we are going to have dinner in a little while, but you are welcome to help mommy in the kitchen.") Then I would give them a small bowl and spoon so they can "stir", or a rag to clean the front of the fridge while you are cooking. Same things can be used for all situations, just explain, distract, and focus them on more positive actions.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 5:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• 2 year old are testing the boundries..your boundries. LOL It is a time to show them and tell them that you are the mom. And mom is the boss.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• when you figure it out let me know i am having this same problem and all i get is "this is normal she is 2" lol!
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 7:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• You're the mom, so if your child is out of control, you're going to have to shoulder a lot of the "blame". Not to sound mean, but she's 2... make rules, stick to them and make the consequences strict. I don't buy that "she acts like that because she's 2" stuff... that's just a cop out for not disciplining your kids.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Your childs 2.... which means the terrible twos!! I am already dealing with the terrible twos and Ayden is only 21 months... It takes alot of talking to them and getting to their level and just ignore the tantrums is what we do! Good luck!
    aydens_mama

Answer by aydens_mama at 3:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2008