I need advice on daycare....

My snl has been watching my 11month old and just recently got a 14wk old doberman pinscher...I asked her if she was going to keep it locked up when my son was there and she told me no...I dont want him around that breed of dog and am thinking of stopping her watching him, but at the same time I would have to quit where I work..I only get 15hrs a week anyways, not in dyer need of, but am I making the wrong decision, if I feel in my heart its what is best for my baby? They wont have to the but 2days b4 she would keep my son again..What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are not comfortable with the dog being around then something needs to be done. I have a friend who runs a daycare and all her dogs are child friendly they are smaller dogs with traits that are suited to children, she does have one older dog whom is kept away from the kids just because she is old and can get grumpy.

My personal belief is I never trust any dog, I allowed my daughters god father to watch her so I could take my son to the doctor, he had a 1 y/o aussie who my daughter had played with since the dog was 6 weeks old , played with it 3 or 4 days a week, I even would dogsit for them at my house. I came back an hour later from the doctor to find no one at the house I called their cell phone and found out my baby was in the Emergency room the dog had attacked her for sitting down next to her godfather, her eye and mouth required many stitches. No one watches my kids with dogs around anymore I wont allow it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Thanks so much...Now I wont feel as quilty I hope about the whole thing..My husband agrees that what I feel is best for our son has to be the right thing. He travels alot so he leaves these decisions up to me. The part that kills me is that she keeps her smaller dog locked in cage all day but refuses to lock the bigger dog up..For only five hours....Or at least keep the dog out of the area my child will be...Thank you so much for your advice, its really helpfull..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Why are you being a dog snob?? What's wrong with doberman pinschers??? We had one in the neighborhood I grew up in and he was better with kids then any other dog there. "that breed" of dog is what the owners makes if it. Get off your high horse and get educated about dogs in general!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Do what you think is best for your child. But IMO its a valid concern to be worried about a strange dog that you don't know how will react to your child, but not to judge the dog based on breed. There are more ER-resulting bites from small breed dogs. There is nothing inherently aggressive about a doberman.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• IMO you need to do what you feel is right for your child. You shouldnt have to be uncomfotable all day cuz your worried about your kid.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 2:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I think you have to do what feels right in your heart.

Right now I am working about 20 hours a week...tiny little piddly job...at a regular preschool where my dd goes. Next year she has the opportunity to go to a special education preschool full time which means I could not work.

So I am quitting. I actually like this job, a little extra money for not much work. But I KNOW that going to this school is what my dd needs...so I am doing it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Is your SIL good with dogs? Is she diligent about training, housebreaking, etc? Is the small dog locked up because it doesn't get along with children? Is it locked up all the time or just when people are visiting? If the answer to those questions is yes, then I think you're being a little hasty. The dog is a puppy and odds are it's probably a sweetheart and when brought up in a responsible home, and a home where a close eye is always watching when the dogs and children are together, there would be no reason to worry.
    But if your SIL locks up the other dog because it has no manners and is out of control due to her irresponsibility in dog ownership, then I can understand your worry and agree that either staying home yourself or finding alternate care might be a better idea.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• To let the person who said I need to get educated on dogs..I'm well educated thank you very much...I'm not a dog snob..and she only had the dog two days b4 watching my son. NO she is not trained with dogs...AND YES THE DAMN DOG BIT MY CHILD AND WAS HOSPITALIZED TWO DAYS BC OF IT....SO BEFORE YOU START RUNNING YOUR MOUTH YOU BETTER GET EDUCATED!!!!
    Anonymous