To what age should I be breastfeeding my child? What's the longest anyone here has breastfed theirs?

I'm still pregnant so I'm just curious.

NicholeR2121

Asked by NicholeR2121 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• You do what your comfortable with, we are all different and what is happening in our lives often determines how long. With my first it was 8 weeks I wanted to go longer but my MIL gave him a bottle and then he had breathing problems so I gave up breastfeeding, my other two children were breastfed until right around 3 y/o when they weaned.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I wanted to breastfeed until she was 1 but breastfeeding was sooo hard for me and my boobies were not meant to feed!! I tried for 5 months and gave up
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• World Health Organization says at least until 2 years and thereafter until its mutually beneficial to mother/child. The worldwide average is around 4 years. I am doing child-led weaning and my daughter is now 17 months and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. You will have to figure out what is right for you. Breastfeeding for me was hardest in the first few days (it wasn't actually all that hard, we just had to figure out the latch and yes it was sore), then hard in the first few weeks, and thereafter easy peasy. I have milk on tap and don't have to sanitize bottles, mix formula, etc. My supply changes with her demand, etc. For those women who it is hard, I think many times they don't have knowledge or support they need and I hope you will seek that out in case you need it (lactation consultant through LLL or kellymom, etc).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• 21 mos n still going til he weans :) good luck on baby. Be sure u have support!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I honestly believe that is a question only you can answer, and you don't need to have the answer now. Just start breastfeeding and keep doing it for as long as it continues to be beneficial for you and your child. It is recommended that you nurse your child for at least one to two years, and for as long as you and your child wish to continue after that. Although I did not start out planning to nurse my kids as long as I did, I just kept nursing until they were ready to stop. They both happened to be four when that happened.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I only nursed until my son was 4 months. At that point I had to return to work, I tried pumping after I went back to work but between nursing in the daytime and pumping at night (my son ate every hour on the hour) I was getting ZERO sleep and not able to make enough milk to keep up.
    I would have liked to nurse him until he was one but he has had a VERY healthy diet as a toddler and at 20 months old has had one cold that brought him down for a day but he was able to kick within two.
    It is whatever you are comfortable with. I feel that after two, the health benefits are outweighed by the potential psychological issues.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• That is up to you. There really is no right or wrong answer. It all depends how it goes too. Some babies self wean early others much later. It depends if you go back to work or not and the baby likes the bottle better which is what my situation is now but luckily so far he goes back and forth between bottle and breast easily.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• No one can suggest how long you 'should' breastfeed your own child, but health guidelines and suggestions are a great start. U.S. is at least 1yr & WHO is at least 2yrs. What your body, life circumstances, and child end up telling you may not coincide with these, but trying to mesh the two is a great start, imo. I breastfed my son for one year and wish I'd gone longer. I was going to breastfeed my younger son for 2yrs, but he died at birth. I have a cousin who breastfed for 5yrs (that's too long for me, but to each his own... her kids turned out great, perfectly well adjusted, wonderful grown ups now).
    wymom94

Answer by wymom94 at 3:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I breastfed my DD for 3 months but only 2 weeks exclusively.......with this next one i plan on going MUCH longer. but i think around when they start walking or 1 yr -18 mos is long enough and then still, pumping will prob be my main way to go after a year. But now that i know what im DOING! Lol. i think its going to be much easier!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I nursed my ds until he was 15 months old, when he self weaned (that was the month my dd was born, he weaned himself a few weeks before she was born, I think he just didn't like the taste when my milk changed). I nursed our dd until she was over 2. I was wanting to wean her at around 2 / just before she turned 2, but, because of my dh's military career, we moved several times that yr. (we didn't know it was going to be THAT many times...) Every time I started to wean her, we would move, and she would start nursing more again. I weaned her at about 2 1/2.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010