Since when is paying our taxes voluntary?

Since Harry Reid said so in 08? Is this why some of this admin got away with cheating their taxes? I do not know about you ladies but non payment of my taxes would get me into a world of hurt with the IRS.Does this mean none of us really have to pay for the big spending this administration is doing? Somehow I am not buying it.
Unreal listen to Harry Reid in the link below

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• The taxes we pay now are illegal. Taxation without true representation. Why should we pay illegal taxes? King George is dead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• That's a misnomer. Paying taxes is not voluntary, it was ratified in the constitution, the IRS JUST had an article on this not too long ago. I found the article.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/yourmoney/sc-ym-0307-tax-myths-20100305-2,0,7492867.story
    Income taxes are unconstitutional: Pick an amendment, from the right to free speech to protections against self-incrimination and involuntary servitude, and tax protesters have used it to justify not paying taxes. In particular, the 97-year-old 16th Amendment, which authorized Congress to enact our current tax system, has long been under attack.
    "There are some people in jail who argued that the 16th Amendment was never ratified," said Eddy Quijano, an instructor at California Polytechnic State University and a former IRS lawyer.
    Actor Wesley Snipes tried that and now remains free while appealing a three-year prison sentence.
    Cont'd
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Similarly, some argue that we have a "voluntary" system, making taxes optional. But voluntary "means the government is trusting you to self-report how much tax you owe," said George Willis, an associate clinical professor at Chapman University School of Law.
    kuriequinn

• Reid is a jerk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• They are not voluntary.

You may feel they are constitutionally illegal; but until you get a movement big enough to actually create a new law or amendment to the Constitution you are required to pay; regardless of your feelings or beliefs.

My uncle JUST went thru this! He & another dentist in OH decided like you that taxes were unconstitutional; so rather than simply not pay; they had to 'fudge' paperwork so they could remain in business...they got caught and just pled guilty in Jan.  The gov't has proved it's point time and time again; you may feel you don't owe those taxes but they've got precedent set that you do.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2010/01/11/daily31.html

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Corruption runs rampant in our Government. They say what they want and they do what they want.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• ok here is the deal...LMAO!!!! you can file exempt. if you have kids and make little $$ you will get a refund and keep all your money all year long. thats when its voluntary. i have plenty of friends who do it. i wish i could.
    MSWAY0603

Answer by MSWAY0603 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• ^^ You don't have to have children. Anyone can file exempt and get back everything they paid in - IF they make less than whatever income bracket they'd fall into...ie it would be lower for someone with 4 kids than a single person. But; I used to file exempt when I lived with my parents and I made under $16k / yr (18/19 yrs old) and they then in turn would claim me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• the IRS determines the rate, but you determine the bottom line. I will never pay my fair share of taxes according to someone else and what they think I should pay for my income level. Never. I paid a whole 7% on a six figure income for the last two years, and have beared every audit.
    It's not so much that it's voluntary..teehee...I just voluntarily decide to pay as close to 0 as possible.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2010