I highlighted my hair last night, and dont like it. Can I dye over it today?

TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have been licensed in cosmetology for over 30 years. I would never advise anyone to leave color on longer to cover bleached hair.
    Honestly, if you do not understand how color works you could end up with another funky color.
    You don't have a pic but my guess is that your hair may have turned out brassy looking from not leaving the bleach on long enough to lift your natural color.
    The trick to highlights is knowing whether your hair is naturally ashy or naturally gold. All brunettes have red in their hair and when highlighting you need to know how far to lift the red out.
    Because bleaching is really removing the red from the hair, using a brunette color to cover it could turn your hair green - this is about understanding how color works.
    I suggest a semi-permanent color (no peroxide) to help blend and tone. It will be much less damaging to your hair.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• yep...but leave the dye in for 45 min to make sure it completely covered the bleach
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• It's not very good for your hair, but I have. I have even dyed my hair 4 days in a row just to get the color I want. It's really up to you, but if I didn't like it I would color over it the next day. JMO
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• ive dyed it a few days in a row to get the color i want. if you do it though after that wait awhile to dye it again
    lyz826

Answer by lyz826 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• OP
    my hair is naturally blond, but I had dyed it brown, then highlighted it. then when I highlighted it it turned a super orange, so i put a champagne blond over top. its still a bit breassy but I can live with it for a while. I dont want to dye my hair for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2010