Working out?

I plan on starting to work out today. This is the first time i have worked out in over a year.. How long do u think I should work out for the first week? What do u think i should do in working out? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Just LISTEN to your body .. it will tell you when it's had enough and when you are ready to pick it up a bit. Minimum of 20-30 minutes at a time and at least 3 days a week to build yourself up.

Just remember to combine diet and exercise for optimal results. Drink plenty of water. If you have a hard time w/ drinking water, start simple (4 oz instead of 8) ... start and end each day and each meal with a glass of water ... this will help you get used to drinking your water. Eventually it will be second nature to grab a glass of water.

There are several workout videos that you can try and many have modifications until you build yourself up to the full workout routine. Also any new folks that need help getting into a routine, I will create a workout calendar for them .. that helps them stay on track.

Good luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• it depends on the workout you plan to do. if its been that long you may just want to do a minimal workout like 30 minutes of yoga or something to help stretch the muscles. drink plenty of water and try eat protein and potassium to keep you from being sore. do not try weights this week. you could strain yourself.. good luck!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 7:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Do you own workout videos? Probably start off slow, maybe even take a brisk walk or jog for 20 minutes. Do sets of pushups and some sets of crunches. I wouldn't push it much farther than 30 minutes for the first week. You will be sore. Drink tons of water to flush the lactic acid out. Some great workouts I have are Jari Love, Jillian Michaels, I also just started doing Kettlebells its awesome!
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• start out with a short time and as you get comfortable with your short routine you can add a little more time to it. i started with 15 minutes and increased by 5 minutes. i do 1- 1 1/2 hours now.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i don't know about everyone else, but when i started working out i couldn't do jumping jacks for more than a minute and they are suggesting jogging for 20 and doing pushups (which i still can't do a real one) I would start off very slow. If you have access to a soccer field. Start out by running around all 4 sides (you can even use just half the field, or set up cones into a square) then jog 1 side run 3 sides, jog 2 sides, run 2 sides, jog 3 sides, run 1 side, jog all 4 sides, build up your endurance. If you have to walk for part of that' its ok! Next time you do it, make sure you go a little further than last time.

You can also google Couch 2 5k, that is a good program to get yourunning. Start out slow. And don't do to much so you get burnt out on it. You will feel so good afterwards! Good luck mama!
    Anonymous