An eye cold??

Ok, so about four weeks ago my dd started getting sleep in her eye. I was worried about pink eye, so I made her an appointment. Her doctor said it was just a cold, prescribed an eye ointment that I put on her eye three times a day, for eight days. It cleared her eye right up without any further problems. Well about two weeks ago my ds's eye started getting sleep (not sure if the technical term is sleep, but you know) in it. But the actual eyeball isn't pink/red, all that was there was sleep gathering in the corner- pretty much constantly. I would wash his eye, and not ten minutes later it'd be gooped up again. So I decided to try dd's leftover eye medicine, since it looked the same (figured it couldn't hurt giving it to the 3yo since it was prescribed to the 3monthold). Well I did it for eight days - three times a day. His cleared up just fine-no problems. Well last night my eye starting bothering me. Continued......

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 8:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Health

• lol well use the medicine or go to doctor and get more medicine. Sorry for the laugh just thinks its weird how yall got it one after the other hun you will be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• After I washed it, and put the ointment on it, I covered my eye with a bandage to try to keep babies from getting it again. This morning my eye is RED, and really swollen underneath, but not very much sleep. I don't understand how we're passing it back and forth. Every single time, I've washed my hands, used a clean q-tip to apply ointment, threw away the q-tip, then washed my hands again. I disinfect on a regular basis. I don't understand. I did a little googling, but couldn't find anything really. Mine sounds like pink eye, but the LOs never looked liked this. Guess it's to the doctor tomorrow??
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• In baby's some get clogged tear ducts...my 3 month old has had it since she was about 3 weeks old. And while it's harmless for them and they grow out of it, it's typicaly just goopy eyes without redness. However, it is considered a form of pink eye. Shortly after my newborn daughter had it my son got it as well, then my mother and myself. The drops worked great for myself and my 5 year old and we haven't been re-infected, but my 3 month old still has the clogged tear duct. I'm surprised drops were given to her, as they can't help a clogged tear duct, they typicaly just outgrow it by the time they are 1 years old but you can massage the inner corner of the eye to help it unclog as well.

Pink eye or conjunctivitis is VERY contagious, so it can be easily passed around. And it can appear different in everyone. My sons was so bad his eye was glued shut from the crusty goop that was leaking out of his eye.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2010