Should I be concerned?

My 7 month old son has had a cough for about a week 1/2. I had taken him to the er before about his cough, and they said that there is not meds to give him, that they stop making cough meds to infants, b/c it was harmful. Has anyone heard of this? What do you think I should do?

FREESPIRIT09

Asked by FREESPIRIT09 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I have heard of this. It was on the news. Buy a humidifier and some vicks vapor rub.

Answer by louise2 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I know that if you want to buy OTC cough medication these days they would ask you for an ID.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• to let you buy one.

Did the doctor give any other recommendations?
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• let your baby cough...honestly, your baby's body needs to get rid of something, so why medicate to keep it in? vaporizers are great...if you think your baby is having a hard time breathing, sit in the bathroom with a hot shower running. there are mixed reviews on the vicks and infants, but they used to make a vicks just for baby's. if you are breastfeeding, then bf whenever your baby wants to.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I believe there is an age limit on vicks...1 year I think is the youngest. I suggest a humidifier (cold air),
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 9:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My youngest has been coughing badly too. We have been putting vicks on his feet before bed, then covering them up. It helped at nap, but not a much last night for some reason. We also run a humidifier.

Mine is old enough for tea and honey, which helps while he is awake. (Never, ever give honey to a child under age 1.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Cough and cold meds for infants were pulled from the shelves years ago because parents were giving too much.

One warning: DO NOT give baby anything for older children or adults. That can be fatal. A humidifier and Vicks rub are about allo you can do...this stuff has to run its course.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010