How many of you had natural birth?

I need advice from moms who had natural birth. What did you do during your labour to reduce the pain? After how long of labour did you go to the hospital? I know it hurts but I cannot afford epidural. Please advice me on this one. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The good thing about labor is that after the baby is born the pain goes away. Just thinking that will help you get threw labor pains.

Answer by louise2 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• With my first my doctor let me have a large sized exercise ball in the room. I would sit on it and rock back and forth or bounce through the contractions. This helped a lot because I was able to move. With my second, I was induced and they wouldn't let me out of the bed.... But I was in labor with dd for only 61 minutes. And as louisa said, all that pain is very soon forgotten.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:13 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• good point from louise...i thought of that too, labor pains are not as bad as chronic pain, b/c you know the cause and you know it will be over once the baby is out :)
    i read that the part of the brain that controls birthing is in the brain stem...
    if you don't let your thoughts run away with the pain, and realize that your body and brain know what to do, just like breathing helps too. i tried to imagine my vagina opening up like a rose with each contraction...that did not help me. i thought of the contractions as waves, they build up, peak, and go down...the ocean and wave imagery kind of makes things more peaceful for me.
    most of my babies were born at home, but i highly suggest doing most of your labor at home. it is much more comfortable, and strangers aren't popping in checking you and hooking you up to monitors. i found labor easier to walk through it. many women find that water makes labor easier...best wishes to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i would 100% prefer epidural-free whether it was free or cost $5000.

my advice would be to make sure you have a provider and a birthplace that will allow you to move around freely. if the want to hook you up to the monitors, it should be intermittent. also, it would be better w/out an IV although i had an IV and was still able to move around.

good books are birthing from within, ina may's guide to childbirth, and hypnobirthing. you can probably request them through your library, or get them for cheap on amazon or half.com.

some women do not experience pain during labor, so remember that. :) i did have a painful birth but it was never so painful that i felt like i needed pain meds. it was manageable. the big things are not fearing it & being able to move around if you want to :) laboring in water can also help.

congrats!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• oh also refuse induction unless you are sure it is necessary. being "late" or having a suspected "big" baby aren't good reasons to induce. if your doctor says you "need" to be induced, ask why and go home and do some research. the drugs used to induce labor often make contractions more painful, also they aren't "natural" contractions so it's harder for your body to just go with them. jmho!

there is a natural pregnancy group here on CM, i'm sure you could get lots of support there. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I stayed moving-rocking or squatting, knowing each contraction was moving baby down. I just trusted my body was going to do it's job. I left the house when my contractions were back to back (probably shouldn't have waited that long) arrived at 8cm & delivered within an hour. You can shower or get in a tub, sit on a birthing ball, lean over the bed--just do whatever makes you comfortable. Counterpressure on your lower back might also help. The pain is there, but it's temporary and after a natural birth you have so much energy. The rush is amazing & lasts for hours.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• sorry, i forgot to ask the part about how long did you stay home. ;) my water broke at home and i went to my midwife's office right away. i really would regret this if something bad had happened but it didn't. in hindsight i realize that going right in could have led to pitocin and other bad stuff. fortunately between my midwife's office and hospital, my contrax picked up and i was in active labor with contrax right on top of each other! my labor really kicked into gear fast after my water broke.

if i could do things over though, i would stay home after my water broke until my contractions were like that. it didn't make a difference in my case, but in the future :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I've had four. I think the best thing you can do is listen to your body, water helsp alot to releive pain. And staying out of the hospital as long as possible. Ih ad 3 hospital and 1 home birht the 3 hospital births I stayed home till I was about 3-5 min along, so once I got in there, things went really quick. I also had my husband say to me over and over and I would say the same "this pain is temporary, it will be over soon" And he would remind me of the reason I choose to say no to the pain medication. I also had alot of family support and having everyone there was a good distraction. They all kinda teamed up and would encourage me to walk, or we would start to talk about stuff. We plan on taking card games this time around, I would also like to have a water birth this time as well.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Read the baby books - what they say about being upright is true! I walked around the mall for both my kids and they came out real quick - my second one came out in the car- no time to get to the hospital :-)

You dont need to walk around a mall if you dont want to - walk around the hospital room or around the hospital.

Get a TENS machine - I found it a great help in helping to REDUCE the pain (not the eliminate the pain!).

Hope it helps - no epidural if possible - it's expensive and may cause permanent side effects if not administered properly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I followed the Bradley Method for all 3 children, and will again for the 4th. The KEY is that your body DOES know what it is doing. And you MUST let it do its job. If you tense up shoulders/arms, scream and yell, thrash around, etc you are WASTING ENERGY that your body needs to do it's job. It's HARD. I'll admit it. VERY hard to give up yourself to the pain. Have your husband help remind you to relax. Gentle strokes on my shoulders really helped. The birthing ball is a HUGE help. Or was for me. The funny thing is that not the same things work for every woman. Or even for every birth!!! I NEEDED massage on my sciatic area with #1 and 2. and did NOT want to be touched with #3.

The pain is there. There's NO getting around it. However, it's not forever. And look at what you're getting in the end!!!! You really do forget it as soon as they're born. I've already done it 3x!! Good Luck!!!
    squeegeatc

Answer by squeegeatc at 10:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2010