How can I make my 14 year old aend his Sunday School? He will go every now and then but not willingly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If you make them, they will hate it. Makes it feel like a chore! I would talk about how you wish he would go from time to time. Possibly enlist a friend from church to invite him to fun teen functions (without him knowing you asked the other teen lol ) and back off.

If you have raised them right, they almost always come back ;) I did ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't push the issue. If you do he might resent it and leave the church altogether.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I went through that around that age. My parents and I would FIGHT about it. Literally. Finally, they stopped pushing and I started going willingly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i agree with the other 2. Thats what happened to me we didnt have sunday school but we had mass every sunday and my parents made us go. It was a catholic church and not fun at all. They never had anything fun for the kids so it was just sitting in church for 45min being bored out of your mind. When i was 14 was about the time i stopped going cause i got a job at a party center and worked weekends. I now attend a non-demnoinational church with my family and they seem to have more activities for the kids (sunday school, weekend activities, "peer" groups get togethers throughout the week etc.) i find this church is more enjoyable then catholic. And its good for my 3yr old cause she gets to go to the preschool room durning church and make new friends they do songs stories and play she loves it. So dont push it i didnt go to church for over 10yrs cause of being pushed.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 9:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Maybe get him involved in Youth groups instead. I hated religious school at 14 and went grudgingly until I was 16.

I would never force my kids to go (and they don't.) Instead, they go to a private, religious school.

I did get very involved in youth groups, which were way more relevant to my life than sitting in a class room for extra hours a week.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• You don't. I know some parents do not want to admit this but religion is a personal choice. If you really want to help your child pray for him and do it openly. Let him know that you truly have faith in your God without being pushy.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I teach the teens for Sunday School at church. You have to find out why, he does not want to go. Talk to him. It could just be a matter of it being too boring. He may need some excitement in the class. It could be the teacher, teaching is an art and you must know how to relate to your students. You have to make it revelent to there time. You cannot use a 1950's method on these kids now a days. It could be that the teacher talks over his head and he does not understand. It could be that he does not understand the bible words. I spend most of the time breaking down the words in the bible because I know they do not understand it. There could even yet be a number of reasons but first start by asking him.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Don't "MAKE" him go. I promise you that if you do it will not turn out the way you would like anyway. It will push him further away. My parents made me go at leasst 3 times a week as a kid and usually twice a week as a teen. it was BORING and after about 12 I didn't really believe it all anyway. Part of the reason I havn't set foot in a church in over 15 years is because my parents pushed SO HARD for me to be a God fearing, church loving person.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Like the others said, if you push, he will probably push back. Although you may also have to accept the fact that he may choose a different path. There are many people that choose to believe something other then what their parents believe. If that ends up being the case, assure him that no matter what his beliefs are, that you still love him. If you respect his thoughts and feelings you'll end up with a better relationship. Even if he is only 14, he's close enough to becoming a man that he may shut you out if you give him an ultimatum.

My son just turned 25, we went through this already. Not the church part, but other things.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Well, talk to him first, there may be a reason he doesn't want to go to class. If he doesn't mention anything out of the ordinary, talk to the teacher and maybe some of the other students. Sometimes, kids have a good reason not to go. Does the SS teacher pry into the kids' lives? Does he/she put kids on the spot or make them feel uncomfortable? If he doesn't go to class, he can still attend adult service with you, right? Maybe another church would be more suitable. Do some talking, do some digging, and do some praying.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2010