Is Obamacare the wrong bill and at the wrong time?

Pushing ObamaCare was an astonishing misjudgment, the domestic policy equivalent of President Bush launching a full-scale preemptive strike against Iran after embroiling the country in Iraq and Afghanistan. But why don't progressives get that this is terrible economic timing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Most people don't even know what is in the bill. Many think they are all getting free healthcare and that is not what is in the bill. The public is blindly pushing for something they know nothing about.
    Anonymous

• is there a final bill?
    i had to quit following all of this, the stress was too much!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Me being conservative I think this bill is wrong for any time. It does not address many reasons insurance comes at a high cost and for a lot of us, it won't change the cost factor, in fact it is estimated that it will raise our costs still!

For those that are in favor of it, this is the only time they can push this agenda. It does not address tort reform so the trial lawyers are still in the clear. It requires everyone to buy a policy, which puts more money into the insurance industry's hands, and it does not reduce the cost of prescription drugs, which is a huge problem for those earning a low wage. But if they don't try to pass it now, when they lose their majority in Nov. they will have virtually no chance at getting anything done if it's not compromised by the opposing party (not that this bill hasn't been compromised to death).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• For those of you that think it's wrong....be specific about what is wrong. I'm with the rest, I don't even know what it is. It's ambiguousat best. I've looked it up and read many times from different views and still don't know what the hell I'm reading. I'm not a Mensa person, but I'm not stupid either. Many have said what I'm saying here, they can not get a handle on what this bill entails specifically. So, those of you that think you got it, share it with us....... To me this all boils down to filling the pockets of the Insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies, and to hell with everyone else.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Better yet, zbee, why don't you contact your representatives to ask THEM what it entails? I mean, if they are in favor of it or against it, they should know what's in it, right? Unless of course like everyone else they haven't read it but still want to pass it. I am no Mensa member either. My Dr is and he is vehemently against this bill. The government has never done anything better than the private sector but war. Everything else they do is riddled with waste. Name one department of the government that does it better than the private sector - excluding military. Health care will be more of the same.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• be specific about what is wrong.

IMO, it is wrong to require people to buy health insurance.  This bill is unconstitutional.  We were told that it was necessary and that now is the time for health care reform, we can't afford to wait any longer.  What they really meant is that they can't afford to wait any longer to raise your taxes, but you won't get any benefit from this bill for at least 4 years.  If it's such an emergency, why do we have 4 years of taxation before anyone reaps the benefits?  Isn't that taxation without representation?  I find that wrong.  Harry Reid putting wording in his bill that goes against congressional rule.  That's wrong.  The fact that we don't have a lot of information on it just goes to prove Obama right when he says that they haven't done a good enough job explaining it to the people.  He still has yet to do that.  I also find that wrong.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Just the fact that Obama has been so pushy about it, trying to scare people into passing it without reading it scares me. Why the rush? If you feel you have a solid plan let people know what's in it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• if it's IYO "the wrong bill", then it doesn't matter when it came about. Idk what is in the bill. I do want the cost of health care to be MUCH LOWER. I can take or leave "universal" health care. I just want to be able to afford the insurance and co-pays.
    MSWAY0603

Answer by MSWAY0603 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• The really bad part about this bill, is that even Congress knows it's a bad bill. They just don't care. They want to pass it while they can, and then have carte blanche to "fix it" later. It's the scariest da*n thing I've ever seen in my life. For those of you who don't know what's in the bill, you aren't alone. It's not done and they want to pass it anyway.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2010