Are sons more inclined to follow dad's job path than daughters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think that's always true. For example, my fil is an engineer. They had 2 boys and a girl, none of which followed in his footsteps. My dh is in the Navy. Our son (17 yr old Jr) is wanting to join the military - but he wants to join the Marines, and he doesn't want to do it as a career (he wants to be a cop, but where he wants to do that requires college, and though we've offered to pay for it, he says he doesn't want to go right away out of hs, he would rather go to the Marines first, so...)

Our daughter (almost 16 yr old Soph.) wants to be a teacher - she wants to teach band and math, preferably in a DoD school overseas, and she does want to do it for a career.

So, neither of them are following exactly, but both have taken parts of it (DoD teachers move a lot, just like military), and incorporated it into what they want.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• From adults I know daughters of teachers or nurses are usually themselves as adults teachers or nurses. And from the young men I know being a parent of adult kids, I do think lots of young guys do follow their father's careers for themselves.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• cont

But, whether they follow in either of our footsteps or not, we always tell them that we don't care what they do, as long as it's not illegal, not immoral, and they can support themselves. As long as they're happy, we're good with it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Not really, my kids were always told to make sure they did something they enjoyed whatever it might be.

Answer by older at 10:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I can honestly say I don't think I know anyone who has the same job as their father or mother.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010