In the song Yankee Doodle, is he calling the pony or the feather "macaroni"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Neither. He's calling the fashion of wearing a feather in your cap "macaroni." At the time of the American revolution, dressing like a dandy was considered frivolous and stupid. "Macaroni" was a style of dress that imitated Italian fashion. So Yankee Doodle was wearing a silly outfit. Like wearing your baseball cap backward and calling yourself a pimp, i guess.
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 11:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Funny question. I would say the feather.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Good information madfoot. I never knew that.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• madfoot, I would never have known that, I was going to say feather.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Madfoot is correct! We had this as a lesson, a side note of trivia, with my last 5th grade class. Yeah, they called each other macaroni for weeks, but that was better than what they had been saying. They said they'll never look at Kraft Mac N Cheese again. Ah, 5th graders.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2010