Does anyone have some good tricks for relief of constipation?

My 18 month old has a condition where she'll have constipation issues all her life and her doctor recommends dealing with it through her diet. Problem is that she refuses most fruits and veggies. She drinks prune juice every morning but it only seems to make her painfully gassy with no result. Any suggestions would be great!

Asked by vivaciousv17 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Remember, it can take up to FIFTEEN times of introducing a food to your child for them to eat it willfully and like it...their tastebuds have to adjust. So my first suggestion is that you can't let your 18 month old choose to refuse fruits and vegetables. It's your choice, not hers...period. Keep introducing them to her (and I also suggest eating a bite yourself and saying "MMMM" even if it makes you want to gag).

Other than that, you can try some other juices such as apple juice. You really don't want to give her a ton of juice because the sugar isn't going to be good for her especially if it's as you say and she's going to have the problem her whole life.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• How to Treat Constipation     

Answer by vbruno at 5:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Pear juis really helped IZ. Also, when she got ahold of the raisins...that was a fun diaper!

Answer by IZs_mommy at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• V8 has a wonderful juice called fusion. My son has the same types of problems. 1 glass a day and he is as regular as sunshine!! good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• lots of fiber is what i did when i was doing chemo and radiation. if needed give juice regularly that may keep her regular. good luck!

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 7:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• bran muffins are another good item. My pedi. told me dairy binds them up. So maybe cut back on that.

Answer by barrettboys at 9:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Try the book 'Deceptively Delicious'! I use it to get my kids to eat fruits and veggies without them even knowing it. :)

And if she ever gets real bad constipation, try a suppository. About 30 seconds after you use it, she'll be letting it loose! LOL

Answer by Jessica_1717 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Depending on how sensitive your child's stomach is... tomato juice and orange juice really help keep my son regular b/c they're more acidic. Make sure you're getting plenty of fiber in her diet too.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• FLAXSEEDS, FLAXSEED OIL IN EVERYTHING*** I swear by this w. both of my constipated kids.. Your child will never know that its in anything. I make my eldest child brownies (add pureed prunes, lots of flax oil and seeds, as well as carob instead of chocolate; and he eats it like there's no 2morrow. Good luck and there is also something called Mycolax(ask ur dr. first about everything) but it works; its the same as otc colace 4 adults.

Answer by LOVEMYBOYS291 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Well i use a qtip lubed with doesn't hurt them and isn't can only do it while they are small.You know fiber is necessary in your child's diet, so I would research on-line and see what foods she WILL eat that have fiber. that is the only advice that i could give.

Answer by karrey at 4:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2008