Do i have PICA?

For nearly 3 years now i have had the incredible urge to eat sponges and foam. I will rip off a peice of the sponge and keep it in my mouth, it is actually very satisfying. I feel like an idiot about it, but i guess we all have our issues. I will even google image pictures of sponges and foam, and my mouth will water.Has anyone else experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Health

• no.... but it does sound like a mild form of pica. i dont think a sponge is going to kill you. at least it isnt paint chips and cigerette butts. it could be worse! if it upsets you, ask a doctor or seek therapy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• It does sound like a vitamin or mineral deficiency could be causing this (like with pica, when you crave dirt or mud b/c you need iron, calcium, or some other vital nutrient). Or, it could be something more mental or emotional than physical. If you have a doctor you feel comfortable talking to about this, I would bring it up. I would also just google "eating sponges" or "craving sponges" or something - I see things on PostSecret ALL THE TIME that I never knew existed, in terms of challenges or problems people face, and often someone will respond with a link that shows that it is in fact a problem that many many other people face too. So you never know - maybe you're not so alone after all, and maybe ther eis already info out there about this!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• http://ehealthforum.com/health/compulsive-sponge-eating-pica-t195515.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17931398
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2010