What would you do with this situation?

We followed our daughter's cues on potty training... she wanted to sit, she sat... she wanted to poop only on the potty, great!... she started peeing there and keeping her diaper dry, we moved to underwear. We got a little stuck in the getting her to tell us EVERY time she needed to go part. She is young, I'll admit. But we didn't push her, we just followed her. Now we've been out of diapers for weeks, but she will still have accidents sometimes unless we initiate the trip. Would you stay the course even if it meant taking her to the potty without her asking? I just can't see going back to diapers, she's so close. But she's been so close for a few weeks now... she stays dry for naps, she's dry half of the mornings (she sleeps in a pull-up at night)... Do you think it's so bad to have a child who's not in diapers but will have an accident without mom and dad's help? Thanks for your opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep up with it. Yes even with out her asking. If you dont keep up with it you will be back to diapers
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• just take her to the potty every hour or every half hour. I think that is a normal part of potty training for a lot of parents. That's whay I did. Good luck! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• no i think your doing the right thing. my dd will be 20 months soon. and i plan on just putting her in underwear during the day... and running her to the potty. i guess i'll see how it works out. but going back to diapers seems like going backwards to me. and she will lose the sensation of being wet. keep doing what youre doing. so what if she has accidents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• When I started with my son, I did not wait for him to ask...He was capable, but, I took him every thirty minutes at first and gradually lengthened the time between until he did it himself. It took a week when he was 2.5
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Keep with it and I applaud you for this,,,Have you tried the kind of pull-up that lets them know they are wet? I have heard this helps them realize the feeling of the urge! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Thanks for the encouragement. I just got some nasty comments from a friend ("you're the one trained, not her...") and I think her nursery school teachers think I'm crazy or trying to prove something. None of the other kids in her class use the potty (I do send her there in a pull-up, but they're willing to take her a few times to the potty). The frustrating thing is I think she does know how to recognize the feeling -- she was asking to go and going on the potty even before she was out of diapers. I just can't get her to ask to go consistently. She'll have a perfect day and then a day where she won't go once on the potty unless I take her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Keep going, this is the way that she will catch on to knowing how to recognize the feeling. I did this exact thing with both of mine. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2010