Question to Military Wives about Off Base Housing (or anyone who knows leasing)

My husband is just about done with MCT (Marine Combat Training) and heading off to his MOS training. We will soon be learning our new duty station. We are new to the military and know that many of the bases have a waiting list and figure we will be looking off base for housing. I am very concerned however because we do not have great credit...honestly we have HORRIBLE credit from when we were stupid and young!!! We do have a bit of money saved up now and are comfortable with putting a bit down on a security deposit but I am very concerned of being turned down by all apartments or rental places. Is this something I really need to be stressing over or will being a military family make this process a little easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you will be fine. Now that you are in the military the housing people realize that you have the money. You could always set up a plan where every month they take the money out of you account and send it to the people you are renting from. They do that in the Army im not sure about the marines. Good Luck. We rented and my husband had NO credit whatso ever and they accepted us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• As soon as you know what your next station is, you can put your name on their housing list. You will need to call the other base and find out more information.
    You do not have to wait tell you get there, so put your name on the housing list as soon ASP.

The housing office should be able to help you, so start asking questions.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I dont have great credit, and have NEVER been turned down for a rental. In my area you have to have deposits equal to one months rent, along with the first months rent (either the full month or the prorated amt. depending on when you move in.)....but since you guys will be military, you have a set income. His current LES should be enough to get you in without issue. People around my way love renting to military. The income is basically guranteed. Make sure you move some where that has a military clause in the lease (meaning if he gets orders they let you out no questions asked).....GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Some place will not allow you to put your name on the housing list till you get there, so call and ask as soon as you know your duty station. As for the no so great credit the only place we had problem with it was in TN/KY when we were stationed in Ft. campbell KY. They were all very rude and we had a hard time finding a place we could afford that would accept us because of credit problems. Here at Ft. Hood we have never had a problem. It really all depends on how military friendly the towns bording the base are.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 2:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• yeah most places around a base knpow the ins and outs. They also know that roughly how much housing allowance for each rank and can also have you set up direct deposit opf your rent. Bad credit aside now that your military they have ways of getting paid. Yes and please get a military clause that way when you get ordrs away they don't fuss if you have to break a lease. Just rememeber most mc do not go into affect if you deceide to move on base.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2010