Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caring for the elderly question...

My Grandmother who lives alone and has for many years and who can still care for herself is claiming my father and I neglect her. She has a friend that called my father and threatened him with calling Adult Protective Services because we are not more involved in her affairs. We are involved as much as she allows us to be and honestly she is and has always been a very mean person. My father and I can only deal with her in small doses and would prefer that when she is in the hospital to only speak with her physicians and health care providers regarding her care, which she usually blocks us from doing. Can we really be in trouble with Adult Protective Services, because we do not come running every time she goes to a hospital?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • No you all cant be in trouble for that. Yall have your own familys to take care of. I wouldnt worry hun

    Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 11:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • No you can not get into trouble. My mother was the same, she kept telling her doctors that none of her kids visit her and our dad. Will what almost happen was APS almost took them out of their home into a old folks home and than she shut up.

    Answer by gammie at 11:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • No, you will not get in trouble. She sounds like a cranky old woman. You are not putting her in danger, so what would APS need to do? Nothing.

    Answer by Pnukey at 12:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.