Should I call CPS

I have a 16 year old sister there electric has been out for 5 days now My mom is more than capable of paying a bill but chooses to blow money

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• yes you really should or if possible take your sister in until mom pays the bill so that your sister wont get taken away
    Tryin4GodsAngel

Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Can you take your sister in? CPS will try to find family first to take her. Until the matter can be resolved. you know that you will be damaging your relationship with your mom, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• OP here Relationship is very strained with my mother and I she is very sick in the head My sister is on Drugs and has her 22 year old BF living there I dont really think its a good idea to have her in the house with my children
    Anonymous

• I hate what people call CPS for sometimes. So you want them to take your sister away, whos already 16 almost an adult, because you couldnt talk to your mom about paying a bill? When i was little my mom would pile all the bills together, throw them up in the air and whatever landed on the table got paid. The rest had to wait, we went days at a time with not electricty or heat or water. And never had CPS called she just couldnt afford it at the time being a single mom of 2 girls. It eventually workd out when i turned 16 and got a JOB. Your sisters old enough to work, make her help out. too.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 04, she is old enough to get a job and help with bills, and if her boyfriend is living there he should too.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Lets look at it this way: You said your sister is on drugs, and her bf is 22. If CPS is called and there are drugs in the house, all THREE of them will go to jail, and if they can find proof that your sister and her bf are in a sexual relationship, he's going to be brought up on sexual crime charges (i.e. sex offender). Your sister needs a rehab if she's on drugs.

Also, if the bill isn't that much, do you think you could pay it for your mom? I know it's silly, but if you're really worried about them not having electricity, that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

If you can't do any of those things, talk to your hubby, talk to a trusted family member or friend and see what they think as well. Then go from there.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• CPS will not care at all about them not having electricity. Not having electricity will pose no harm to your sister, especially now that we're entering the spring months. Even if they have no electricity in the hot summer months, CPS will not care unless there is a baby or young toddler in the situation.

What is a concern is the fact that your sister is 16 and her mother is letting a 22 year old boyfriend live with them. CPS will care about that. Call CPS and focus on the statutory rape and drug use that is going on in your mother's house with her consent. They won't pay any attention to you if you act like the lack of electricity is the big issue.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I would probably call... If I was worried that my younger sister wasn't being given the appropriate guidance and she, a minor, was permitted to do drugs and have a sexual relationship with an adult man, I would feel as though it was my duty to get her some help. Almost an adult doesn't make her an adult.  16 is a crucial age and as a young girl, she needs stability and guidance.  If CPS took her out of that situation, I'm sure it wouldn't be the worst thing for her.  If she continues to stay w/o an intervention, she may end up a pregnant drug addict.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• hMMMM I THINK YOU LADIES NEED TO RE-READ WHAT SHE SAID. HER MOTHER ISNT PAYING THE BILL BECAUSE SHE RATHER SPEND MONEY ON OTHER THINGS. SHE SAYS THAT. "SHE IS MORE THE CAPABLE OF PAYING THE BILLS BUT BLOWS MONEY" THEREFORE THE MOTHER IS BEING AN UNFIT MOTHER AND ISNT DOING RIGHT BY HER "TEEN" DAUGHTER. SHE IS 16, ALMOST AN ADULT BUT ISNT AN ADULT AS YET........ SHE IS ON DRUGS????? SHE NEEDS TO GO TO A REHAB THEN... IF YOU DONT FEEL SAFE BRINGING HER IN THE HOUSE AROUND YOUR CHILDREN THEN YES, CALL CPS.. IT ISNT CRAZY FOR YOU TO CALL.... YOUR WORRIED ABOUT YOUR SISTER... AND IF SHE IS ON DRUGS, WHAT JOB WILL HIRE HER???????????? SO YALL SAYING SHE CAN GET A JOB AND WORK, ISNT COOL... ALSO SHE IS JUST 16 AND SHOULDNT HAVE TO GET A JOB SO SHE CAN HELP HER MOM WHO IS CAPABLE OF PAYING THE BILLS... NOW IF HER MOM COULDNT PAY THEN OKAY, BUT SHE CAN. I SAY CALL CPS OR SPEAK TO ANOTHER FAMILY MEMEBER WHO CAN TAKE HER IN!!!! GOOD LUCK
    Tryin4GodsAngel

Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 1:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2010