Breastfeeding question- Please Help!!

My daughter is 2 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding exclusively and am wondering when and if it will get "easier". My nipples are still very sore and I am afraid to go out in public with my newborn and 2 year old because of the fear my baby will be hungry and the toddler will run away from me.
My baby feeds at times for 20-30 minutes on each side, and at other times she will feed for a few minutes on a side and fall asleep. When I go to lay her in her crib, she wakes up and starts screaming. This process can repeat itself for hours. My baby will not take a pacifire from me.

Any words of encouragement or help are greately appreciated. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hang in there mama, yes it will get easier
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• oh hon.... every kid is different.... what may have worked for your first may or may not work for the second.  Do what is best for your family.

I loved bf but my best friend couldnt do it with hers.... and she is soooo granola. It absolutely killed her to stop. But her son is fine and thriving as a 5'8" 12 yr old who gets straight As.

So you do what is best for your whole family. (((((( hugs )))))))

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• The first six weeks are the hardest. You can go out and nurse if you want. Have the toddler bring something along that he can do while you're stopped nursing. Or if you're at a place that has a play area, let him run around there.

A SLING...not a bag-type carrier like the infantino but a Maya wrap or Moby wrap...can resolve the nursing in public issues completely.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Things will get better!! *HUGS* You are doing perfect!!!

Anonymous

• Man, I remember those first few weeks. They were very hard and emotionally draining. My nipples felt like they were open sores. If she starts falling asleep try to keep her awake by moving her arm up and down or by touching her ear. If she does fall asleep, just feed her on the opposite side for the next feeding. When she does stay awake, you can train her to eat from both sides, but stopping her (put finger her mouth to break suction) after 10 or fifteen minutes and switching her to the other side. I don't remember what age they start to suck on their fingers, but you could try showing her that she can put her fingers in her mouth. My daughter is was a little older when she realized she could suck on her thumb or fingers and used that to soothe herself. No pacifier needed. Good luck and hang in there.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Yes!! It will get easier! My nipples hurt for almost a month and then it was SO easy and i was SO glad I stuck it out!!! As for the fear of going out with both your kids, give it a little time...you will feel more secure soon. For now do you have a friend who can go out with you if you need to? And about the crying - have you talked to your doctor about it? Sometimes babies have colic, acid reflux, etc...and your pediatrician may be able to give you some good ideas to help your baby. I know it's hard but it will get easier and if you start to feel crazy just call a friend or family member and ask for help - don't be too proud. We all need help sometimes! Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010