Breastfeeding question- Please Help!!

My daughter is 2 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding exclusively and am wondering when and if it will get "easier". My nipples are still very sore and I am afraid to go out in public with my newborn and 2 year old because of the fear my baby will be hungry and the toddler will run away from me.
My baby feeds at times for 20-30 minutes on each side, and at other times she will feed for a few minutes on a side and fall asleep. When I go to lay her in her crib, she wakes up and starts screaming. This process can repeat itself for hours. My baby will not take a pacifire from me.

Any words of encouragement or help are greately appreciated. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Did you BF your first baby, how are things different. Don't give up. Use Lanolin on your nipples, try nipple shields. If you'er unsure about go out, you should still go out but don't venture to far, stay within a comfort zone. Things will get better. Good luck.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Big hugs! It will get easier soon. For all three of my kids at about three weeks I felt so much better. If you are worried about going out in public I would recommend a sling for the baby, you can nurse discretely. And for your toddler, I would use a stroller or one of those backpack leashes. I know a lot of people hate them, but if it is keeping you LO safe I think it is fine.
    My kids would not take a pacifier either :( I just nursed them on demand. That is another good reason to get a sling. You can cuddle the baby and have your hands free to get other things done at the same time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

• op here- what kind of sling would you recommend? I have a long fabric one that you wind around your body (I do not like it... I am short and the amount of fabric is very cumbersome and overwhelming to me. There is excess amounts that hang past my knees that I cannot get to fit around my body to shorten).
    I also bought an Eddie Bower sling that goes over one shoulder and is like a little hammock. This seemed like it would be good, but my baby cries whenever I put her in it. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• Most women seem to notice the nipple tenderness go away after the 3rd week. For me it goes away after the 4th week. You're almost there. Once the nipple tenderness is gone, BFing is so easy and convenient.

I have 2 toddlers and a BF baby. If I'm in public, I either feed the baby in the car while the toddlers play (I have a van, so this is super convenient) or I feed in a public ladies' room with my youngest toddler strapped in his stroller.

My newest baby won't take a pacifier either (my 1st two LOVED their pacies). She is now 3 months and her not taking the paci hasn't been an issue at all.

BFing is so easy (no bottles to clean & no formula to mis), it's always ready and the right temp, and it's free. You'll get the hang of it. Join the BFing groups here on CafeMom. Those ladies are a huge support and comfort.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• yoru at the worst part it will get easier from here. When you lay her down are you swaddling her? With my last two I did not allow them to fall asleep at the breast like I had with the first two and the differance in sleeping patters was amazing. My last two both started to sleep though the night at 2 mo, while my 2nd did not sleep through the night till almost 2!! I would keep them away, burp, change diaper, swaddle and then place them in their bassients, or swings to sleep. .. your nipples wiill feel better soon. And NONE of my kids would ever take a paci, no matter how persitant I was. Soem kids just don't like them, think of it this way, at least its one less habbit you will have to break her off. And as far as your toddler, I would get a toddler leash. or a double stroller, when its time to nurse, put her in one or the other.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I totally understand your feelings! My children are 2 years 6 months apart in age and I had the same problem with my son. I BF my daughter for 13 months and when we were in public (not out of the embarrassment of nursing in public) I would go to the van, where I would have toys for my son, to nurse her. That way my son was confined enough that he couldnt run away but yet we didnt have to completely leave wherever we were.

Regarding the nipple pain... have you met with a lactation consultant? There is a possibility that your baby isnt latched on properly. If she is not then the nipple pain will most likely continue. If she has a good latch then its just your nipples getting use to nursing and the pain will eventually go away (probably within the next 2 weeks or so)

Keep it up! Its great that you are coming here for help... stick with it and YES it doesnt get easier!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I promise things will get better. I breastfed my baby and I was so sore for about two to three weeks and I got lucky because my mother in law helped me. My baby was preeme so I had a very hard time keeping her awake to eat and most of the time she fell asleep after maybe 5 minutes! She also would not let me put her down no matter what everytime she woke up as soon as I put her down but just know that things will get better. Just start to lay her down more often and let her see you so she knows you are there or let her hear your voice that may help.                    I wish you all the luck     

ProudMommy134

Answer by ProudMommy134 at 1:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I understand what youa re saying. I used to BF my DD in the car when we got to where ever we were going. I was lucky and she was a fast nurser but at first it wasnt so fast. The sling was my saviour I had a ring sling and liked it but you had to get it on right(one side is over you shoulder and down your arm...i made sure this was my LH side) or it hurt(my shoulder would start hurting real quick). As for your child. You can use a stroller and strap him in or a even a harness so he can move around while you are nurse.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2010