Should this mom get money from the company that makes baby slings?

I would think not. This mom should have used common sense to check for her baby once in a while. It you had your baby on a sling wouldn't you check your baby often to see if he is ok (breathing).

Keizer woman sues baby sling manufacturer after newborn smothers
By Bryan Denson, The Oregonian
January 21, 2010, 11:00PM
A Keizer mom whose newborn son suffocated in a baby sling last spring has sued the California manufacturer of the carrier and the company that sold it.
Derrik Fowler was six days old when he died of compression asphyxia during a shopping trip to Costco with his parents, Lisa Cochran and Jerrid Fowler, according to report by the state medical examiner's office.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/keizer_woman_sues_baby_sling_m.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist posting this:

http://focalpublishing.com/iknowfunny/images/BabyRules.jpeg

Sometimes common sense isn't so common! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• No she should have been smart enough to check her child. I never used those things with my son , 1 because he was to big and 2 there not safe or comfortable. I hate anything that you strap to yourself to carry your child in, get a stroller!
    Anonymous

• Slings are used for babies 4 months and up.
    Anonymous

• People look for a reason to sue anybody for things that happen to thier kids, yeah i'd probably be angry at the company...but I wouldn't sue. I would want a label put on them or something, but i'm sure there is already. Money won't bring your child back.
    People need to understand that when they use a product, ANYTHING can happen. Use common sense.
    Anonymous

• positional asyphxia can happen to kids sleeping in car seats, bouncy seats, swings etc too... it is your job as a parent to monitor your child... it is a tragedy, but not a lawsuit IMO
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I totally agree w/peanutsmommy1.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• She should have been watching out for her baby.

No she should not get any money. She's trying to buy away the guilt.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Maybe. If a parent assumes that a product is safe, and there are no warnings to the contrary, then yes, she should be compensated.

I used a traditional bumper pad in our cribs, from the time my boys were newborns until the point in which one of them almost suffocated at 4 months. No where on the packaging, at the pediatrician's office, the OB or at the hospital was I ONCE warned of the suffocation risk. I was told not to have stuffed animals, only a firm mattress, no blankets and to put the baby on its back, but never to not put in a soft crib bumper. In every magazine, baby furniture store, and every bedding set was a soft crib bumper. IMO, these should not be used until the baby can crawl and has great head and body control. It would be better if they all just came with breathable bumpers.

If my baby had died, I would have blamed EVERYONE that knew of the risks, but didn't tell me, including the manufacturers.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I hadn't heard of the "four month rule" anywhere until after these deaths were in the media. I have looked at several slings, and no where is it printed that it is only to be used at 4 months and up.

Walkers and jumpers all carry warnings and age/development guidelines, why should slings be exempt.

I had a bassinet that was recalled due to the fact that the "rocking" movement could cause the baby to tip, and be pushed against the side of the bassinet, and it caused a huge risk of suffocation. I didn't find this out until my babies were out of the bassinet, but I quickly realized the risk as soon as we but our babies in it, and chose not to use it.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I havent ever heard that slings shouldnt be used until 4 months either. I will say this though. This is not the first incident with those bag style slings, they just arent a good idea and I think they should stop making them. A newborn baby can properly be worn in a ring sling, but it doesnt put them in that position.
    If they were using the sling according to the directions, then yeah the manufacturer is at fault.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2010