Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support question?

I found out my son's father is close to $150,000 behind in child support with his ex. I filed for child support but they "can't seem to locate him" even though I provided them with the address. They tried to serve him here in Florida, but he hauled ass from the state. After 2 days of none stop searching I FINALLY found the address. You would think they'd put a warrant out for his arrest considering he's already so far behind and isn't paying on top of running so he doesn't have to pay me child support. I'm at wits end. I'm was a stay at home mom when he decided he didn't want to be with us anymore so making ends meet for me is really hard. It's be nice to see some child support from the dead beat! I know they have so many cases, but why don't they just issue a warrant??

Answer Question

Asked by snjbjac at 12:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 4 (30 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • have you went down to the local police station and explained???

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • They cant do anything, I've tried and our court house. It's up to a judge to issue a warrant. So I don't understand why they havent brought this to the judges attention to do so.

    Answer by snjbjac at 12:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Attorney General's office should be able to help you with this. Put all requests in writing and if you talk to anyone make sure you note the date, time and who you talked to. Keep a record of EVERYTHING .. .you can request that they garnish his wages and his IRS refund ... and they are also supposed to notify DMV so it comes up when he renews his license.

    And I haven't tried it, but I've heard there are some "Child Support Collection Agencies" that you can use .. they will take a portion of whatever they get, but right now you aren't getting anything and "nothing from nothing is still nothing.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • I know here in PA all they issue is a bench warrant, as long as he doesn't come into the county, he won't be arrested. I was told non payment of child support is not a criminal case. I know this is not what you want to hear but you will probably have to figure out on your own how to make ends meet. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 2:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.