• In the Spotlight:

How did you wean your baby? (PIOG)

My dd is only 9 1/2 months so I have a little time before I start but I was wondering the best way to do it....anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
I'd like to have her weaned by July (she'll be a year and 2 months). I have a weekend trip planned away from her for the first time so that's kind of my goal date

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's rthe way to do it to cause the least amount of pain for you and the least trauma for her.

Figure out her least preferred feeding and stop doing it. The next week, dump the next least favorite.

I did NOTHING to wean...mine did it on his own at 26 months, despite several trips by me that had me gone a week to ten days each time. So don't feel you need to wean for the trip. There are MANY benefits to continuing if you're inclined...including a 50% breast cancer risk reduction for you and optimal brain development for her.

But if you want to wean that is your option. Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's the only real method. No tricks. Drop one a week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i weaned my twins at 15 months. i distracted them during the day with food and sippy cups with water. i bf in the am, and before bed. on day 2 of this at bedtime they were both just playing, so i put them down, thinking they would come right back to me, but they ran away laughing!
    my 1st and 2nd kids self weaned.
    i actually regret weaning the twins, even though they seemed ready
    i believe it is helpful to breastfeed throughout teething. one twin had a hard time with some 2 yo molars.
    good luck to you, and i hope you enjoy your trip :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• We started with nights. It meant a lot of holding him while he cried, but it was worth it, and he woke up less often. We were still cosleeping, and I slept topless, so I started wearing a shirt so it wasn't so available, and he couldn't smell them as easily. Next, we slowly tarted eliminating daytime feeds, turning him down occasionally, and breaking his habit of falling asleep on the breast. We managed a night away during this time, which was fantastic. We've done several of them now. About a week and a half ago, we did two nights away, and I decided that since we were down to once a day or so (and his teeth have been killing me), we just wouldn't start back up when he got home. He wasn't too thrilled, and he still asks for it before going to bed, but I've found that asking him if he's hungry or thirsty (he has signs for these) usually means I can distract him with a snack or water. He's 18 months, BTW.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2010