I'm worried about the ultrasound thing??? you??

I have my very first appointment with my OB this friday which I will be 7 weeks! And its just about medical history, weight so on.. then I will have a follow up appt. actual apt. when im 10/11 weeks.. Now, im guessing they will do an ultrasound then, and listen to heart beat. I heard you only get 3 ultrasounds throughout the whole pregnancy? Im worried about that? Because I want to know the gender before 21 weeks, and if htey do an ultrasound at 19 weeks, and the baby doesnt cooperate! I wont knowfor my babyshower! Or will they let me do one each week after that ntil i find out??

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• With my first pregnancy I had an ultrasound done at 5 weeks, 12 weeks, 19 weeks, and 23 weeks. 23 week was specifically for finding out the gender, as they weren't 100% sure at the 19 week one.

I will be 10 weeks on Friday and I have had 2 internal ultrasounds already for this one.
    Anonymous

• it depends on your insurance, I was only supposed to get one, at 20 weeks
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• it depends on your dr and your insurance.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Most docs don't just do 3.. when u go see your doc ask for more ultrasounds if they only try to give u 3...my doc checked me everytime I went in.. he likes to check how thr baby is growing..
    Anonymous

• i was only to get one or two but sents i had 3 m/c before this one i had one in 6 weeks 10 weeks and i did a 4d ultrasound feb 17 i was 18 weeks and i found out it was a girl for same reason you want to know and i go tomorrow il also having one im 22 weeks and this one will be my last one till i go for my next 4d ultrasound that i already paid for they had 2 ultrasound for the price of one where i went
    Anonymous

• Ultrasounds are done for all sorts of reasons, for confirmation and for diagnosis. You'll get however many your doctor/insurance company think your medical condition of pregnancy needs for good health of you and baby. I had several each pregnancy cause of a kidney problem in my family. The internal was more comfortable for me most times cause the pressure of the mouse wasn't on my full bladder in my tummy.

Don't take any tags off baby shower gifts in a specific color cause u/s are wrong sometimes.

Congratulations FOR YOU Mommy - oh I know there are some ultrasound companies in malls etc. that a mom can go to for a private ul/s but I don't know what it costs or quality of pictures. Maybe some other moms know.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• it depends on your situation and insurance stuff, i got too many to count really. my aunt found out she was having a boy at 14 wks
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• If the baby doesn't cooperate for the 20 week u/s they'll usually try to jiggle it around and get the baby in a good position for a nice shot of your boy or girl. otherwise, just get up and jump around! By then you'll probably be feeling movement and maybe you'll know some tricks to get your baby moving.
    LittlestKeen

Answer by LittlestKeen at 2:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• The purpose of the ultrasound is not to tell you the gender. If the baby doesnt cooperate in that respect you can pay out of pocket & get one done at one of those 3D places.
    Anonymous

• It's completely up to your dr and your insurance. For my 3rd I had one at almost every visit until they could finally tell she was a girl, but lately there have been studies looking into the safety of exposing baby to multiple ultrasounds - I would do some research before I did a number of them with no medical reason.

Answer by missanc at 3:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010