To Kindle or not to Kindle?

I live overseas and pay nearly as much to have a book shipped to me as I pay for the book itself. I also have a small apartment and have run out of shelf space long ago. If you have handled a Kindle, please share your thoughts. Do you like it? Would you say it's worth it? If you don't like it, please explain why. It's a pricey item, so I don't want to spend the money if it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Thanks!

yakamoz

Asked by yakamoz at 12:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Shopping

• Do you not have a library in your area? To me this is the most cost effective way of reading a good book.

Not sure about the Kindle though, sorry.
    Anonymous

• It would be convenient in your situation! I prefer a "real book" but the Kindle is handy and fairly cost effective!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I only know of one person with a Kindle, she does love, but a cheaper way to go is an iPod touch. Download either the AmazonKindle app or Barnes & Noble app. There are tons of e-books to choose from in all price ranges, some are free or next to it.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 1:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Anon 7:01 -- No libraries with a good selection of books in English.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 1:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I have one and I like it...the only thing I don't like is that you can't add books you already own to it w/o having to buy them over again =( but other than that its pretty neat and I would have gotten it sooner had I known about them (it was a b-day gift from DH)
    Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

I was just going to suggest this. DH and I were looking into this because I spend 1/2 of the summer on the road with the kids. I'd love to have books without them taking up the space. The apps look decent.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• What is a kindle??
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 7:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I LOVE mine. They are expensive but you can get books free or at a really steep discount! I've read half my town's library as it is, so I need a cheaper way to get books lol!
    Anonymous

• Just my personal opinion but I think the world is letting technology take over too much. Yea, the kindle is cool, but I'm a fan of real books. I want to someday have a room in my house that is it's own library. I do know people however that do like the kindle a lot!
    sweetevilness23

Answer by sweetevilness23 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My mom has a kindle that she loves. I tried to read it, and it hurt my eyes a little. I guess I just prefer a regular book, but my mom loves hers.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2010