ocd at 2 what??????

my dd and her dh came over on sat...they have a dd of there own.i knew my sil had ocd plus tourettes when he was liittle.now my sil thinks his dd is showing signs of it.he says she goes crazy over the rug .it has to be exactly right. he also said the chairs at the dinnig room table have to all be pushed in or she will push them in.she also seems to pace the floor.i know my sil had a bad case of it and he clearly remembers it.i think my question is what are the symptoms of ocd in a almost 2 yr old...is this possible.my dd said she cant be diagnosed for tourettes yet .she is to young....any thoughts...

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont know that you will find any reputable doctor to diagnose a 2 yr old with a case of ocd, or any mental illness for that matter. Kids that age have quirks and its too soon to tell. She could be seeing someone else have oced behaviors and she is picking up on it, or she could just be really picky about how things should be(shrugs0. but yes in an adult ocd can be characterized by repetive patterns of behavior or thoughts, such as you described. But I wouldnt be overly concerned at this stage, maybe when she is going to start school...good luck anad even if she does in fact haave these conditions, its not a death sentence or something that has to greqatly effect her life. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I DO NOT agree with putting these kinds of labels and diagnoses on children! It's a well known fact that children who are just learning about their environment can be "controlling/bossy/demanding" about how things are done. I have seen many children the age of two who LOVE to line up their toys, repeatedly...and none of them have grown up to be OCD. I think it's a natural way of exploring your surroundings. My dd loves to make sure all the chairs are pushed into the table, and also loves to make sure all the bedroom doors are closed. She is 3...she IS NOT OCD...she is a child learning about her environment....and to be honest, I'm sure she has probable seem me do these things hundreds of times in her short life, and she is most likely just 'copying' what she knows...in her own way.
    Anonymous

• WoW, i wouldnt try to have him diagnosed so young...but i think my son is showing signs of OCD and hes REALLY young too! Everything has to be in an exact spot, sitting a certain way, or he moves it! And right now its funny...but my Grandmother has OCD sooo...i dont know..im not in a rush to have my son labeled for the rest of his life...OCD may get in the way when they are older but for now..it seems like its just little things so i REALLY wouldnt stress over it! I dont know anything about tourettes besides what ive seen on true life! I dont remember how young it can start, research if its that serious to you....let it play out and see!! GL
    Anonymous

• My 2 year old is just like that. We don't have family history, and I am not worried. I do understand the worry, but I think it's too soon to tell. I'm sure it's like a lot of things; there may be signs in the toddler years, but you can't be sure if the signs mean anything until they are older.
    Anonymous

• My son who is now 4 started similar actions when he was around 18 months old. Everything had to be in a specific space (he would even follow people around the house and put things back after they moved them :-), there couldn't be lint or little pieces of anything on the floor or else he would walk/crawl around and pick them up, he didn't like to be messy himself, etc.. I explained my concerns to his doctor who set us up with an Occupational Therapist. Over the past 2 years we've had her come to our house 1-2 days a week for 45 minutes each time and work with him on messy play (getting dirty and staying dirty until playtime is done), working with him on his control issues through games and play time, etc. Some of the things they do really doesn't make sense to me, but IT WORKS!! He is now so much more relaxed and not uptight about everything being in it's place. They have never said he had anything "wrong" - cont.....
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 2:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• They just said he had things that bothered him and they helped to teach him that he can't control all situations, and taught him how to cope with things not always having to be "just right". I'm so glad I expressed my concerns to his Doctor, and I'm so thankful to his Occupational Therapist to listening to my concerns and helping my son deal with these sitations :-) Sometimes I wonder if I over reacted, but I really think I did what was best for my son. I would feel horrible if I didn't do anything, and he grew up with social problems or OCD.
    Anyways... I don't know if the Health Dept in your area offers these services (Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, etc), but I called them, had my son evaluated, and they offered the service free to us.
    If you have any questions or would just like to talk, please feel free to PM me anytime.
    Best of luck to you and your child!!!
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 2:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010