Breastfeeding around a toddler

Okay, I breastfed my son until I was 2 months pregnant with my next child, and he was about 20 months old. I weaned him slowly at first, but he didn't want to give up the night time feedings, so I had to cut them off completely (also for my sanity and so I could try to get at least a little more sleep. He still tends to go for my breasts occasionally, so should I worry about breastfeeding my newborn around him?

I'm just worried that he'll try to go for the breasts while I'm trying to nurse his sister, which will drive me insane.

trilliana

Asked by trilliana at 2:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• EXPECT him to do it. And if you don't feel comfortable with him doing it, tell him no. As many times as it takes.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I am in a similar situation, but my daughter is 18 months old and still feeds on average about once a day, more if i let her. I was told by my dd's pediatrician that it can cause negative feelings with my daughter if i were to refuse her, when she sees a new addition breastfeeding. She is very attached to the boob as it is. it is her comfort. so he told me to make sure I take my vitamins, drink plenty of water, eat healthy, and if she wants it to let her have it. I think it just depends on how your son reacts when your other is born. you will know what to do, but you can research tandem breastfeeding also.
    Anonymous

• My 2nd and 3rd were 18 months apart. I nursed my 2nd until he was almost a year old and I never had an issue with him, but my then 3 year old was interested. I just told him "babies drink milk from their mommies, big boys drink milk from a cup" It seemed to satisfy him - he didn't want to be a baby, he was a big brother!

Answer by missanc at 3:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2010