is extreme shyness hereditary?

ds is 12 and has extreme shyness w everyone he won't make eye contact w anyone well dh tells me some of his family is like this his oldest brother being the worst. His older brother was even so shy to look at cars on the street he would hide behind bushes until they passed he went on a school picnic w classmates and was too shy to eat in front of them so he waited till they started hiking to eat and got left behind but I was wondering is this personality trait hereditary? No bashing this happened when his bro was a kid

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I wouldnt say heredity, although they claim that personality is both nature and nuture...i really think this behavior is more of modeling problem. Like the child grew up around people with this behavior so its normal to them to be shy....i guess it depends which side of the argument you fall on...i definitely believe EVERYTHING is a combo of genes and environment!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Without trying to sound "mean", this sounds like they were sheltered too much as small children. You have to teach your children to be confident. You have to show them how to meet people. Conversation is taught and learned. I know some people just seem to "have it", but you start when they are very, very small to shake hands, say hello, demonstrate their newly acquired skill, or anything that puts them in front of a group which is watching them perform. Soon, it becomes natural to be in front of people.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't think so. I never looked anyone in the eye except my parents until I was an adult and still don't like doing it.
    Anonymous

• Being shy is a huge reflection of confidence in one's self.
    Anonymous