Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you respond to the school about this?

my ds is 12 and he was having issues in school keeping focused and what not or listnening well they had me have him tested for ADD which it was found he don't have ds is not hyper so then they send me to a audiologist for a hearing test and she came up w telling me he has CAPD and the gap should close at 12 which the school has found it's not closing so now they wanna test him for autism which he has none of the signs so the school is like we don't know what's wrong so let's make up something so we can continue special ed for his learning disability in math and treat ds like he has this disorder only so he can remain in special ed idk what to do or how to respond they are testing him for autism because he's incredibly shy and I think that's his whole social problem he has no signs of autism at all i think the school don't have a clue!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (13)
  • Is this testing through the school district? I took my child to a neuropsychologist at children hospital, I didn't trust the district to be in charge of testing her. Sorry I don't really have an answer to your question...


    Answer by BlooBird at 2:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • It was a bit hard to follow what you were saying.

    He is shy. He is already on an IEP. He has difficulty focusing and listening.
    Is this all true? Do you agree with the school on these items?

    If you agree that he is having issues at school....... then I think you should do anything/everything possible to help him.
    I think it is wonderful that the school is not just sweeping the issues under the rug and ignoring his needs. Im sure they are looking for a lable so that they can get him the extra help needed. If you disagree with the particular them find the correct one.

    However, if you do not agree with the school, then perhaps look into a different school, a private school, or homeschooling. If you believe that they are not meeting your child's needs... You need to step up and meet them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • if you're giving them permission to test then what's the problem? you just don't agree with the results? if he needs help get it for him.

    Answer by angevil53 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Specal Ed classes are there to help because the student has fallen behind in normal classes. There's a reason they want to keep him there I doubt there's some kind of conspiracy to undermine you. Why would you not want your child tested?

    If I were you iwould be looking into private tutoring. I would also allow the school to test for whatever they wanted.

    Answer by Christina2135 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Is it possible that he is dyslexic? Why does he have an IEP? I don't see how being shy would cause him not to focus on what is being taught. Get him tested at school and also have him tested on your own so you have something to compare it to. Maybe he is depressed. Maybe he just needs a tutor.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 2:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Unfortunately way to many schools and teachers want children to get on some pills to make them zombies just to make their job easier. Truth is, all children have different talents and flaws and the school system needs to realize that. Don't get me wrong, some children do actually need some medication, but certainly not as many children that are on it these days. I know two people who were diagnosed with adhd, both of which got on the medication. They both had terrible results, they didn't feel like themselves anymore. One being my brother, actually had dyslexia, not adhd. The other being my brother in law who just had a very outgoing sociable personality. I can't answer your question either, sorry, but that's my take on labels.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Okay, the school is trying to help him out? Make sure that the testing is complete and that you fight FOR your child and not AGAINST the school. There is a difference. Why fight the school when they are paying for the testing. Why argue for continuing the IEP and Special help?? Just because they are testing for Autism, doesn't mean that they'll find it.
    As for "signs of autism", define that......there are so many signs and "non" signs that there is no true definition to the "signs of autism".

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Schools CANNOT diagnose Autism or ADHD- ONLY a LICENSED medical doctor can- not even the school psychologist. The school can test for other things, like learning disabilities, emotional issues, and other things. Get a second opinion, talk to your child's doctor for a referral if necessary. Also, I'm not sure if you are understanding things from the school- maybe you should schedule another meeting. Listen with an open mind and don't get defensive. They are NOT putting your son down, they are trying to help him. If you don't understand something they are saying, ask them to explain it again.

    Answer by musichollie at 8:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2010


    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • OP in order to recieve special ed for math due to his learning disablity he must have something else wrong with him to keep an IEP besides just the disablity in math I know how stupid but this is how the school works yes it's public I was thinking to go thru the district and just get an IEP for math which is all he needs it for.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.