My son is breast feeding.....

Well my son is only breast feeds at night now he won't take the breast in the day time. At this point and time I don't give him formula I was wondering if I should start giving him formula?

smiley198028

Asked by smiley198028 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is he? Does he eat table food? Does he drink MILK? If he is one or older he can have cow milk. if he isnt eating enough table food you should give him formula bc his body needs it. They do have formula for kids up to two.
    Anonymous

• if he isnt on formula but doesnt want breast milk in the day time, what do u give him? also have u tried pumping and putting it in a bottle or in a cup (if old enough)
    Anonymous

• Your profile says he's six months. If he's on solids, they MUST follow nursing. Not one bite of solids unless he has nursed first. Breastmilk OR formula must be his main meal all the way to the first birthday, with solids as an added extra.

He may be getting too much in solids, which would account for not wanting to nurse in the day. He'd reject formula as well if his tummy is full from too many solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Pump and give him breastmilk in a bottle. If he refuses it then yes, give him formula. But like gdiamante said, don't give him solids til after he's had a bottle - until he's a year old, breastmilk and/or formula are to be their main (if not only) source of nutrition, foods are just for practice, they don't offer enough of the nutrients that breastmilk and formula do.
    Anonymous